Changing out a switch

Old 02-28-11, 10:40 PM
Changing out a switch

I am trying to change a switch from a Decora Rocker style to a regular "flip" switch.

The wiring was already done previously, I just need to change out the switch.

Here are two boxes in my kitchen.

The box to the left are two light switches. One switch to one set of lights.

The box to the right is for the garbage disposal and a GFCI outlet.

The switch I want to change is marked "Light Switch 2" and it is circled.

There are three wires going to this switch. A green (ground), a yellow and a black wire.

The new flip switch has two screws on one side, but I am not sure which wire goes to which screw. I think the black wire (B) is the incoming hot wire and the yellow (A) is the switched hot wire?

This is my flip switch:

The screw to the top left is to be connected to the green ground wire. The two screws to the right, does the yellow go to the top screw and the black one to the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-11, 01:34 AM
The yellow and black can go to either one of the two screws on the right. Doesn't matter which ones.

Old 03-01-11, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rule 4. One screw....One wire. Wire the new switch identically the way the old one is wired. Take the two wires under one screw, make a pigtail with a piece of wire and a wire nut and apply the single wire to the screw. With a simple spst switch it won't matter where the wires attach. All you are doing is breaking the current from the black wire to the yellow ones. Note one black wire goes from your switch to the adjacent one, energizing them both. In addition, the curve of the wire will need to go in the direction of the screw tightening. They are wrong on the existing switches. Clip off the excess green wire when you get ready to push this back into the box to keep the possibility of it touching a hot wire terminal.

Old 03-01-11, 07:38 AM
Excess Wire

Also remove the excess yellow wire on switch 2 and on the disposal switch.

Old 03-01-11, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, what I am seeing is long leaders the "electrician" used to complete his crooks with, not two or more wires Guess a closer look and snipping the leaders would make it a lot neater.

Old 03-01-11, 08:41 PM
Done.

Old 03-01-11, 08:46 PM
One more question.

When you wrap the switches and outlets with electrical tape, how is it typically done? The switch I have has the grounding screw "sticking out", so when I wrap the tape I wasn't sure if I should wrap the grounding screw inside of the tape, or leave it on the outside?

Old 03-01-11, 09:35 PM
You don't need to wrap the ground screw with tape as it is at the same potential as the switch mounting bracket and eventually the metallic box once it is mounted to the box.

Old 03-01-11, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
One more question.

When you wrap the switches and outlets with electrical tape, how is it typically done?
Typically it is not done. There are occasionally reasons a pro might but a DIYer really should not have to.

Old 03-02-11, 03:08 AM
That look good however for myself for remodeling you may have to wrap the screws up with electical tape and use cheap switches until you get the drywall up and mudded up and all done then put in new neat switch in.

The reason why I suggest that due during remodel many time it will get swatted or hit and get damaged so I use cheap switches { I get alot of older switches that removed from other houses or commercal location }that really save some of my headaches ditto with duplex receptales as well that one thing in my service truck I keep one box full of used switches for this purpose and yeah I have see it broken from time to time so I am not super worry about it as long it don't show exposed electrical parts.

and other tip is take a tape or marker { if you going to redo the floor then this will work better } and mark it down where the switch box located when you slap the drywall up you will know where it is and can able double check for missed switch box { I have see it happend from time to time }

Merci.
Marc

Old 03-02-11, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should at least remove the switches from the box so that the drywall can be cut properly and the mounting tabs fall on the outside of the drywall.

Old 03-02-11, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Typically it is not done. There are occasionally reasons a pro might but a DIYer really should not have to.
Are you saying typically electrical tapes are not used to wrap the outlets or switches? or are you saying the portion stick out (the grounding screw) are not typically wrapped?

Old 03-02-11, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no need to wrap with tape. If you were to wrap with tape there is no harm in leaving the ground screw uncovered by the tape.