How to wire an outlet for a 3-prong range plug

Old 03-01-11, 05:15 AM
How to wire an outlet for a 3-prong range plug

I am replacing my range and discovered that the existing range was hardwired in. I have the following existing wires form the panel; black, black w/red stripe, grey, and a bare wire. I bought a Leviton 50A surface mount outlet (50A-125/250V) (3-pole, 3-wire non grounding power outlet). The problem is that it doesn't have a place to connect the bare wire. Do I have the correct outlet? What do I do with the bare wire? The stove I am replacing it with has a 3-prong plug on it.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-11, 07:44 AM
I belive you must use a 4 prong setup. The pro's will be on here to tell you forsure.

Old 03-01-11, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
The problem is that it doesn't have a place to connect the bare wire. Do I have the correct outlet?
No. You need a NEMA 14-50R four wire receptacle. Gray is neutral, black and black/red are hot, bare is ground.

The cord set on your stove needs to be changed to four prongs according to manufacturer's instructions. This generally means removing a bonding strap or wire from the neutral.

You never change a 4 wire range service receptacle to 3 wire. You always change the cord set to four wire. Four wire is safer.

Old 03-01-11, 08:16 AM
Thanks alot for the info.!!! I was hoping I didn't have to change out the range cord since this house was built much earlier then the house I got the replacement appliances out of. I didn't look at how the original range was wired when I took it out. I'll proceed with changing to a 4-prong outlet and range cord. Thanks again.
John