Arc Fault Breaker

Old 03-01-11, 09:48 AM
Arc Fault Breaker

I have an arc fault breaker that seems to randomly trip and I am wondering if the Internet signal I am transmitting through that circuit to connect my router downstairs to my computer upstairs could be causing it. Never had a tripping problem until I plugged the adapter into the circuit.

Thanks

Leslie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-11, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It absolutely could have something to do with it. Is this an ethernet-over-power thing? Would wifi be a reasonable alternative?

Old 03-02-11, 05:06 AM
Yes it is and I had been using WiFi but was having signal strength problems. Is the tripping more of a nuisance than a safety issue or should I remove the offending adapter and go back to WiFi?

Leslie

Old 03-02-11, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a nuisance trip issue. You could try the Ethernet device on a different circuit, or try a new AFCI breaker. The manufacturers have made several revised designs as they are developing technology so a newer AFCI might be more accommodating. I would certainly think this is worth reporting to the breaker manufacturer and the Ethernet device manufacturer. Both have an interest in being more compatible. I think all of the major electrical companies have a feedback form for AFCI breaker complaints/incompatibilities.