Trouble Wiring Replacement Fixture

Old 03-01-11, 08:07 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Wiring Replacement Fixture

I am replacing a light fixture and having trouble with properly rewiring the new fixture.

The fixture has a two wire cable (black, white) and three wire cable (black, white, red) coming into the box.

The power is coming from the two wire side.

The circuit has two 3-way switches. My assumed sequence is power supply, fixture, switch #2 and switch #1.

Switch #1 has three wire cable leaving the box. Switch #2 is in a box with 2 other switches. Switch #2 has a red common, 1 black and 1 red travelers.

Advice for properly wiring the fixture to allow the 2, 3-way switches to work properly would be appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Old 03-01-11, 08:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Switch #2 has a red common, 1 black and 1 red travelers.
Is one of those wires a recolored white? What color wire on common of switch 1. There are only one 3-conductor cable in each switch box, correct? Is there a always hot 2-conductor cable at the box with multiple switches? Is that wit\re hooked to one of the wires of the 3-conductor?

Old 03-02-11, 04:42 AM
E
The red traveler in Switch #2 has a bit of white on it, but it appeared to me to be paint rather than an intentional marking.

The common from Switch #1 is red, I believe. It's a dimmer switch so not as crystal clear. No-recolored wire.

There is only the one 3-conductor cable in the box for Switch #1. The box for Switch #2 has 3, 3-conductor cables, one at Switch #2 and one at the other two switches that do not control the fixture in question.

There is a 2-conductor cable in the box for Switch #2 (4 conductors in total). The black goes to one of the other switches and the white is pigtailed with wire from 2 of the other 3-wire conductors entering the box.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-03-11, 05:57 PM
E
Is anyone available to to review my wiring situation? I would be happy to provide additional details as needed.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: