electrical wierdness

Old 12-27-00, 09:35 AM
arcadence
Visiting Guest
Question

my kitchen, dining room, and florida room are all connected together on one breaker switch. last night the lights went out in all three rooms, but all the outlets still work. i've already flipped the switches....short of all my bulbs burning out at the same time, can anyone tell me what happened? and is it something i can fix, or should i just go ahead and call an electrician? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-00, 10:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Find every GFCI outlet in your house and press the reset buttons. Don't stop looking until you've looked at every inch on every wall in every room, including the bathrooms, basement, closets and garage, including kitchen counter-top outlets. Look behind furniture, garage and basement storage, and behind appliances. Also look around the entire outside perimeter of your house, especially the front and back porch.

This may not be it, but it is certainly the most likely cause.

Let us know what you find.

[Edited by John Nelson on 12-27-00 at 01:48]

Old 12-27-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
BINGO

John,

You were right! I hit the resets on all the plugs in the kitchen area and upstairs, but it wasn't until I got down in the garage, that it worked.

Thanks for the tip. It's ironic that my wife was on the right track, but she only reset the ones in the kitchen. I will call and cancel my appointment with the handyman. You just saved me $100 for a guy to hit a reset switch!!!

Merry XMAS.
Pat

Old 12-27-00, 03:05 PM
arcadence
Visiting Guest
ironically, i don't have many gfci outlets in my home...i have a couple outdoors, and that's about it. the rest of my outlets are standard two recepticle outlets...it's dark here now, but i'll check the outlets tomorrow morning and let you know what i've found. thanks for your help. i do recall having one gfci outlet out front which i covered up since it stopped working...but that was years ago...