Old Cooktop Wiring

Old 12-27-00, 10:20 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an old cooktop which I moved from one location in my kitchen to another. In doing so, I did not pay attention to how it was wired. I am now not certain how to reconnect to my house wiring. The cooktop has four wires out of it - red,green,black,white.Of course I hooking up to black,white, and ground. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-00, 02:36 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sorry to tell you but you need to replace your wire from a black/white/bare to a new wire black/red/white/and bare.

The reason is that a lot of older cook tops were designed not to use any 120 volt equipment such as lighting. The new equipment is designed to use a neutral conductors because of the light bulbs, clocks etc. are designed to be run on 120 volts. This new equipment is using both 120 volt and 240 volts in the same unit. This make you white grounded conductor to be required to carry the current of the unbalanced load of the new equipment.

Now you need to look at your name plate found on your cook top to find the wattage used to run this new equipment. Then come back in and we will tell you the minimum size conductors required for your new feeder.

Hope this helps

Wg