How to properly cap/connect a middle of run receptacle?

Old 03-03-11, 03:53 PM
How to properly cap/connect a middle of run receptacle?

Hi, I've a receptable that is in the middle of the run and I want to cap this outlet as I'm not using it. There are 2 whites, 2 blacks and a ground wire in this receptacle.

I can cap the 2 whites together, 2 blacks together, but not sure what to do about the ground wire. Also, why is there only 1 ground wire??

I need outlets on the downstream to still work. Please advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Why do you want to do this? You can't bury a splice so you would still have to have an accessible box. You'd just be trading a receptacle cover plate for a blank cover plate. You might also be creating a code violation in regards to receptacle spacing.

Old 03-03-11, 04:28 PM
This outlet is above the counter top to the right of my range. I plan to put a proper backsplash in the future (tiles), but for now have covered up the width of the wall with a stainless steel panel temporary (when I removed the microwave to put in a outside vent hood, it left unsightly marks and holes on the wall). Rather than cutting out a cutout in the stainless steel panel to accommodate the wall outlet, I removed the receptable (to ensure a flat surface). I'm just not sure what to do about the ground wire.

Actually, there might be more than 1 ground wire. I noticed only 5 as these were connected to the receptable. Maybe it was pigtailed and tucked in the back. I have to take a closer look tonight.

But if I want to do this temporary prior to putting in a tiled backsplash (which I would then put the receptable back), how should I do it?

Old 03-03-11, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As the others have said, you can't cover up the receptacle, nor any junction box you create in that space. It all must remain accessible. Cutting a hole in the SS is the only way to be code compliant.

Old 03-03-11, 05:13 PM
This is temporary, at the most a year from now, I'll have a backsplash put in with the receptable back in place. Right now, my outlets downstream does not work and I don't want to cut out a notch on the SS. I could use it for other applications later, but not as much with a notch.