Which wires go where?

Old 03-03-11, 05:42 PM
Which wires go where?

I'm installing a new phone jack and I used CAT5, so it can be used for ethernet, later, if needed. Which wires go to the red, green, black, and yellow terminals in the phone jack? I'm not that good with IT stuff. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Same colors as you hooked up on the other end. Usually blue and blue/white are used for red and green. The impoertanr thing is to use the same color pair on both ends.

Old 03-04-11, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Ray said, the important part is that red/green (line 1) and yellow/black (line 2) are kept as matched pairs. I'm not sure if it matters all that much anymore to hook up yellow/black though since many people don't even have a line [2] anymore let alone a modem or fax line.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-04-11 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 03-04-11, 12:38 PM
As the others have written it isn't all that important as long as you maintain the same color code throughout but to be exact you would connect the blue/white to the red and the white/blue to the green.

Black and yellow were more often used for a transformer supply for the dial lights in Princess model telephones or sometimes speaker phones. They were also used with the earlier Trimline phones that still used an incandescent lamp for the dial. More modern Trimlines use an LED that is powered by the telephone line voltage.

If you can, I strongly suggest that you run the new cable all the way to the network interface box rather than splicing (or piggy-backing) onto any existing wiring.

Old 03-04-11, 12:42 PM
Thanks, guys! My house still has a very old phone system, with two cloth covered wires coming in. The yellow and black are just twisted together and soldered. (I soldered them, they would fall apart when bumped, I also used heatshrink.)

Old 03-04-11, 12:42 PM
First pair blue. Second pair orange. Blue/white goes to green. Solid blue goes to red. Orange/white goes to black. Solid orange goes to yellow.

Old 03-04-11, 06:34 PM
Why exactly are phone lines using cat5 now?

Old 03-04-11, 11:33 PM
Generally cheaper for a contractor to have only one cable type to do all the data and telephone wiring. You CAN use Category 3 wire for telephones with no problem.

FCC regulations have for several years mandated four-pair cabling for telephone services to allow for multiple telephones and/or FAX machines at each jack location. It also allows for spare pairs in case of damage to the primary pair. Personally I think it is a bit silly in most residential telephone systems and especially when run with a STAR topology from a central node to each jack. In my home (1550 square feet) I have run cat 3 to all rooms and this gives me the ability to have four independent telephone lines at each jack location. Even in larger homes with several teen-age girls this is ridiculous because in most cases the girls would be using cellular telephones instead of traditional land-lines.

Old 03-05-11, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Why exactly are phone lines using cat5 now?
Another reason is the ability to run both telephone and data on the same cable. This only works with a Star topology with both telephone and data head ends at the same central location, only with the T568A wiring scheme, and only with 10/100 networks. The blue pair is used for telephone Line 1, orange for Line 2, and green and brown are used for data. Dual keystone wall plates are used to split the cabling to a 6P6C jack for phone and an 8P8C jack for data.

For the record, although you can use any pairs at either end, maintaining the proper standard color code is important. It's not only the professional way to do it, it also makes it easier for the next homeowner to troubleshoot.

Old 03-07-11, 11:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of anyone I know that has gotten a second POTS line installed in years. They either go to mobile phones or VOIP+Ethernet when additional capability is needed.

Old 03-07-11, 01:52 PM
since our house only has two wires coming in, can I use the yellow and black as unamplified audio, like what comes out of an ipod?, then make a cord with a modular at one end and an rca at the other end?

Old 03-07-11, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could give it a shot. Audio signal generally degrades pretty quickly over distance, but it might be good enough for your needs. You will also only get mono (no stereo) with two wires.

Old 03-07-11, 07:13 PM
I could jumper the left and the right, although it would still come out one wire. I'll try it, anyway.