Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help needed replacing 3-way switch with occupancy motion sensor

Old 03-04-11, 06:37 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I want to install a motion activated light control at one end of a 3-way switch. Instructions and wiring diagram did not give me much confidence without asking for guidance.

Motion sensor has black, red, yellow/red and ground wires.

3-way switch had 3 black wires attached to the common (black) terminal, another black wire (hot?) attached to the brass terminal above that, and a red wire (load) attached to sole brass terminal located on other side of switch (Can post some pictures once my cell network comes back up!).

Having difficulty determining which is "Traveler A", "Traveler B", etc. as per Leviton's wiring diagram. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-04-11, 07:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
it would be very helpful if you can scan the wiring diagram and post or give us an online link to it at Leviton.

Old 03-04-11, 08:12 PM
The travelers are the brass terminals. "A" and "B" doesn't matter. More info and diagrams are needed to go further.

Old 03-04-11, 09:27 PM
R
Here are a couple of images and the Leviton wiring diagram:

Last edited by rudeboy; 03-04-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 11:35 PM
3-way switch had 3 black wires attached to the common (black) terminal,
One is hot, one probably supplies power to the other switch and the third probably supplies a fixture or device down stream of the box.

another black wire (hot?) attached to the brass terminal above that, and a red wire (load) attached to sole brass terminal located on other side of switch
These are travelers. They are not referred to as hot and load, just the travelers.

Having difficulty determining which is "Traveler A", "Traveler B",
There is really no traveler A or B. The travelers are interchangeable. Just pick one as A and one as B.

If I am looking at the diagram correctly it is drawn for how to wire if the power, a 2-conductor black and white cable, comes in at the box where the regular 3-way is. If that power cable comes in at the box with the sensor switch then the wiring would be different. Which box does it come in at? Was there a third diagram.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-05-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 07:59 AM
R
If I am looking at the diagram correctly it is drawn for how to wire if the power, a 2-conductor black and white cable, comes in at the box where the regular 3-way is. If that power cable comes in at the box with the sensor switch then the wiring would be different. Which box does it come in at? Was there a third diagram.
There are actually 3 x 2-conductor cables coming into the box where the sensor is located with the black wire from each going to the common terminal, and I was able to determine which one is the Hot wire. There is also a 3-conductor wire coming in here (black, white, red) whose black and red wires go to the other brass terminals. At the other end of the 3-way circuit is a 3-conductor cable with black and red connected to the side with two terminals (one of those is the black terminal), and the white is connected to the sole brass terminal on the other side of the switch.

The only other diagram on the instruction sheet is for wiring a single pole installation.

Last edited by rudeboy; 03-05-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 10:12 AM
First we need to determine which of the three black wires to the common go to the light that will be controlled..

One way to do this is disconnect all three black wires. Using a meter or test light determine which is the power in black. Now connect one of the two remaininf blacks to it. Does the light to be controlled light up? If not try the other black wire. When you find which wire goes to the light to be controlled mark it with red tape or red felt tip marker.

Got to go for now. Will post more instructions later.

Old 03-05-11, 10:24 AM
R
First we need to determine which of the three black wires to the common go to the light that will be controlled..
I connected the power wire to each of the other two black wires but neither turned on the light. I then connected the power wire to the black wire from the 3-conductor wire and the light did turn on.

I will wait to hear back from you. Thanks!

Old 03-05-11, 10:41 AM
Ok I will refer to the black wire to the light as black/red.

Do not touch the neutral bundle. Leave as is.

Connect the sensor red wire to the black/red.

Connect the sensor black wire, the common wire from the other 3-way switch, one of the travelers from the other 3-way switch, and the two remaining blacks in the sensor switch box together.

Connect the Sensor yellow/black to the remaining traveler from the other 3-way switch.

Old 03-05-11, 11:06 AM
R
Do not touch the neutral bundle. Leave as is.
- ok.

Connect the sensor red wire to the black/red.
- done.

Connect the sensor black wire, the common wire from the other 3-way switch
- by common are you referring to the white neutral wire from the 3-conductor wire? The white wire from that cable was already tied into the neutral bundle.

one of the travelers from the other 3-way switch, and the two remaining blacks in the sensor switch box together.
- there is only one traveler remaining, the red wire, since black/red from the 3-conductor wire has already been connected to the red sensor wire above.

Connect the Sensor yellow/black to the remaining traveler from the other 3-way switch.
- no additional traveler as mentioned above. The 3-conductor cable only supplies a black and a red wire to this party.

- what about the power wire, I don`t think you mentioned it unless you called it something else and I missed it.

I hope my post is clear and I`m not confusing things...Thanks!

Old 03-05-11, 06:45 PM
R
I connected the sensor red wire to the black/red, the sensor red/yellow wire to the red traveler, the sensor black wire to the hot black and the other 2 black wires in the sensor box, and then placed a jumper wire on the other 3-way switch as per the installation instructions, and the switch is working nicely.

Does that sound like it makes sense? If yes, then thanks for all the help Ray!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: