Running electrical to patio

Old 03-07-11, 04:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running electrical to patio

I have a patio that I'm just about finished with. I've built the foundation with compressed decomposed granite and am planning on capping it with compressed sand and pavers. I took a break this winter while waiting for the weather to get better and am just about to start up work again. Since the patio is not connected with the house I never got a permit for the work (I didn't think I had to).

While I've been taking a break it's come to me that it would be really nice to have a power outlet on the patio itself. The patio is set about 6' from the back of my house and is not connected in any way.

I'm guessing that I need to run conduit out from the house itself and then bring it up to the level where the pavers will be for the box. My main questions are these - how deep do I need to run the conduit, what type of conduit should it be, and do I need to pay for a permit/inspection?

Old 03-07-11, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
You would need to call your local building department to see if a permit is needed.

I would run PVC conduit out to the patio. It is easy to work with and inexpensive. No special tools are required. If the circuit is GFI protected at the source you can go 12" deep. Without the GFI protection at the source you need to go 18" deep..

You will need GFI protection for the receptacle and a weatherproof in use cover.

These are one option instead of a wooden post.

19.5" Low-Profile Enclosure with Built-in Cover

Old 03-07-11, 07:18 PM
The NEC also requires a receptacle to be listed weather resistant, because when humid air gets in during the day, it condenses at night, and more humid air gets in the next day and condenses at night, meanwhile, everything corrodes.

Old 03-08-11, 08:25 AM
B
JEFF said, "I'm guessing that I need to run conduit out from the house itself and then bring it up to the level where the pavers will be for the box".

I dont think you can have your outlet level with the pavers ( floor outlet), If thats what you meen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: