K&T with newer wire

Old 03-08-11, 12:51 PM
K&T with newer wire

Hello;

I bought a house that was built in 1962 it has knob and tube with good plastic sheathed wire... The system also has a green ground... I am in the process of rewiring the house but is it necessary to continue???

This is a fixer upper with the intention to sell...
The attic has been insulated and also blown into the exterior walls covering the wiring...

Will this give me grief on a home inspection at sale time???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-11, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure you have knob and tube wiring? 1962 would be very late for that material to be installed. You really don't see K&T much past the 30s or 40s.

knob and tube - Google Search

Old 03-08-11, 04:27 PM
There was somewhere I read about that used k&t well into the sixties

Old 03-08-11, 04:46 PM
I posted a few weeks back that knobs and tubes were readily available into the 1960s. I didn't mean to imply that this wiring method was being used in new construction at that late date. The knobs and tubes were most likely for repair or extension of existing K & T work.

Old 03-08-11, 06:03 PM
I didn't read that here. I saw pics and everything and now I guess I will have to find that.

Old 03-08-11, 06:39 PM
When I think of K&T I think of open knife switches used in the early 1900s with 30 amp 120 volt services, but I know K&T was used extensively through the 1930s. By the 1940s, BX was pretty popular, but I am sure old timers of that era still swore by K&T and continued installing it.

Old 03-08-11, 07:05 PM
When I think of K&T I think of open knife switches used in the early 1900s with 30 amp 120 volt services,
I think of my basement before it met my wire cutter because it was in the way.

Old 03-09-11, 08:33 AM
I have been remodeling houses for 35 years in NJ and never encountered this... This is my first in Ohio... I do believe it was old school,,, my father was a plumber and wouldn't let me use a tape rule it had to be stick...

I do know for sure in 62 a fuse-box was used and K&T throughout with a green ground to the outlets... There is a Zinco sub panel "a hazard I am removing" with 8 circuits run in emt the length of the basement into boxes terminating in the basement with only 2 outlet boxes... The house is wired from the attic down terminating with lighting in the basement run into emt stubs... The Zinsco seems to be a later addition or a coverup,,, anyway you think of it it's weird...

Previous home owners have covered over the emt and boxes with Sheetrock and air spliced into the only good home run to a AC someone had installed right... "ha ha what a joke" they didn't use the good circuits and blew the only one that was good to power outlets and lights in a basement remodel... The real irony is that they could of burnt the place down... The AC outlet never worked for me because of the covered loose air splice connected to a notorious fire hazard Zinsco box,,, It's like God gave this house to protect people...

I was in the process of removing all K&T, but am just thinking of using the 8 20amp circuits to make some home runs to Kit,Bath and Media while leaving the knob and tube run in the attic to all the lighting... Also put in a new panel to replace the fuse-box and sub...

My concern is that when I try to sell will this K&T be a red flag on a home inspection,,, the market here is in the pits and you need all the help you can get to sell today, Or will a home inspection knock it down for the blown in insulation...

Old 03-09-11, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
it has knob and tube with good plastic sheathed wire... The system also has a green ground..
If the wire used is conduit rated such as THWN you could put Jboxes at the conduit stubs and run NM-b from there.

The attic has been insulated and also blown into the exterior walls covering the wiring...
K&T can not be buried in insulation.

Of course THHN is supposed to only be used in conduit. It would be interesting to know where code stands on it being used for K&T assuming, based on your description, that is what they used. Maybe the pros will weigh in on that.