60 degree C supply to a 75 degree C fixture?

Old 03-09-11, 01:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
60 degree C supply to a 75 degree C fixture?

Hello all,

If you respond to this post, please include whether or not you think I'm nuts...

There have been a rash of burgleries in our neighborhood and I've decided that it would be a good idea to install a porch light alongside our back door. Currently, there is no box or wiring leading to an optimal location, however, the previous owner installed an external, grounded electrical outlet a couple of feet above where I'd like to put the light. The previous homeowner did this so they could string margaritaville lights around the deck...

I have very little knowledge in terms of boxes and running wires through walls and such so I decided on a possible solution of splicing a simple light fixture to a grounded extension cord plug and running the plug 2' to the electrical outlet. If this is insane, don't bother reading the rest and just tell me so.

Since you continued, you must not think me crazy...
The extension cord I have is rated 60 degrees C but the light fixture says MIN 75 degrees C. I've read all about issues with 60/90 degrees, but I was wondering if the same dangers apply to a 60/75 combination.

Thanks
Andrew

Old 03-09-11, 01:23 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Is this area protected from the weather or in an open area?

Old 03-09-11, 02:29 PM
D
While outside, it is under a large roof and is subject to zero precipitation.

Old 03-09-11, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like the hard part is already done. Just use conduit from the existing box to a new box in the location where you want the lights. You could even add a new switch.

Old 03-14-11, 10:25 AM
D
What size is the wire in the extension cord? Probably something like 16 AWG. While I would not recommend you do what you are thinking of doing, it will probably be ok if it is kept out of the weather elements. If it were me, I would run wire from the outlet box to a new box and install a light there...pretty easy and cheap to do, and is compliant with the National Electrical Code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: