New Shop

Old 03-09-11, 02:16 PM
New Shop

Setting up a new shop and just wondering what size and kind of wire to get. I will have a 230V air compressor, a 220V welder, several outlets with power tools on them, a couple low bay 75V low bay lights, a couple outdoor flood lights, the shop is 40' x 60' so the longest run would be about 100'. Any suggestions would help.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-11, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We'll need some better idea about the power of the air compressor in amps or horsepower and the power of the welder (specific model or approximate). By power tools do you mean hand power tools like a skil saw or power tools like a cabinet saw? Will the shop have any electric heat or air conditioning?

Old 03-10-11, 04:40 AM
[Compressor] will have 5HP motor, will have a miller 212 welder 230V 30-210A, as far as tools go I will have some hand power tools like drill and saw, I will also have a bench grinder and chop saw. I at some point may put in a used oil furnace for heat but no heat or a/c at this time.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-10-11 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Typo. Changed "AC" to "compressor.
Old 03-10-11, 11:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would you should probably looking at installing a 100A service. The compressor will pull about 30A and that welder also will pull about 30A @ 60% duty cycle. You could do a 60A service, but I doubt the welder and compressor could run at the same time.

You'll need to install 1-1/4" PVC (or larger) conduit from your main panel, buried 18" deep to the shop panel.

For more details, please review this recent thread about installing a 100A panel in a detached shop: http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...vs-copper.html Post back here if you have any more questions.