Power Cord to Electric Range Questions

Old 03-11-11, 08:07 AM
Power Cord to Electric Range Questions

I just bought a new electric stove to replace my old one and had the following questions:

1) The new stove came with a 3-wire plug, but my outlet had the 4-wire. Since my new stove is convertable to a 4-wire configuration, what I did was use the power cord from my old stove and used it on the new one. Can I do that? It seems to work fine, but I just want to make sure that it won't explode or catch on fire in couple days.

2) The 3-wire power cord from the new stove doesn't have red, white, and black labels. When I took it off, I forgot to label them, so I'm not sure how to install the 3-wire power cord on my old stove. Is there a way to see which one is supposed to be attached to the black, to the red, and to the white by just looking at the wire?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-11, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use the 4 wire cord if it is in good shape and the proper ampacity for the new stove. Since you said it was on the old stove I think you are ok on the size. I hope you removed the bond strap or wire from the frame of the stove when you changed the cord.

Are all of the wires in the 3 wire cord black?

Old 03-11-11, 11:53 AM
If the "old" 3-wire cord is "flat" ,as compared to "round" , then there are three "side X side" conductors , and with the three terminal studs on the appliance likewise positioned S X S , there is a "matching" connection arrangement with the Neutral in the middle.

Old 03-12-11, 10:19 AM
To complete PATTBAA's answer, as long as you know which terminal is the neutral in the cord as well as on the appliance, the red and black are interchangeable.