Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to hook up wires to a outlet that goes to a switch for garbage disposal.

How to hook up wires to a outlet that goes to a switch for garbage disposal.

Old 03-11-11, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post How to hook up wires to a outlet that goes to a switch for garbage disposal.

Hello,
I have a bare wire, white, black and red ( the red is the only hot one.) The outlet is under the kitchen sink, the dishwasher and garbage disposal will plug into this outlet. this outlet will go to a switch with a white and black wire to control the garbage disposal. The question how to hook up the wires to the outlet under the sink? Help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS! Dennis

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-11, 11:37 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a bare wire, white, black and red ( the red is the only hot one.)
Where does the 3-conductor cable come from? Is it the switch box? If not is this a multiwire circuit?

Was this a working circuit or new circuit. If new circuit I can suggest how it could be wired but I'm not quite following your explanation.

Last edited by pcboss; 03-11-11 at 11:51 AM. Reason: quote formatting
Old 03-11-11, 12:01 PM
Not sure where red wire came from, This was a working outlet for dishwasher and garbage disposal plugs. I lost power at the switch black and white wire that controls garbage disposal.

Old 03-11-11, 01:35 PM
I lost power at the switch black and white wire that controls garbage disposal.
How did you determine you lost power at the switch? Are you saying you took wires apart because you lost power? Can you put them back the way the way they were? If so do that and tell us the connections. Is the tab between the screws on the brass side of the receptacle removed? At the switch is the black and white connected to the switch?white of the 2-conductor cable attached to the switch.

Old 03-11-11, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Is the switch already wired? Can you tell the number and colors of the wires in the switch box and attached to the switch?

Old 03-11-11, 05:01 PM
When the garbage disposal did not work when I tried the switch to on, I had no voltage there when metered. I took the wires apart at the switch and outlet. I have a new outlet, I hooked the bare wire to a ground, the white wire to the top left silver screw, the black wire to the top right brass screw and the red hot wire to the bottom right brass screw. I also clipped out the tab between the two brass screws. The switch wires now read 110 between them. I

Old 03-11-11, 05:30 PM
The switch wires now read 110 between them
Do you have only the single 2-conductor cable at the switch are you sure there isn't another cable. Only a single 2-conductor cable in the switch box would indicate a switch loop with nothing plugged into the receptacle there should not be voltage between black and white of the switch cable. Are you using a digital multimeter?

Last edited by ray2047; 03-11-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 10:48 PM
Sorry, for some reason my full information you did not recieve. I do have the dishwasher pluged into the bottom and the garbage disposal pluged into the top of the outlet, you are right when I had nothing pluged into the top of the outlet I had no power at the switch. I hooked up a new switch with the white and black and the on off switch is runing like it should. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELR, GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 03-11-11, 11:06 PM
Good work. Thanks for letting us know.