Electrical Question

Old 03-11-11, 03:13 PM
Electrical Question

My current home has 3 outside Sodium lights mounted on trees around the house.I'm concerned now that if lighting hits the tree it's coming to the house and fry everything that is plugged in. Can the tree be grounded so the chance of lighting is eliminated or should I just completely disconnect the lights. Or what should I do????.........Thanks George

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-11, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
The lights should be grounded through a grounding wire and that in turn to you panel which should be grounded.

Even a direct ground is no guarantee against damage from a direct hit. At best it bleeds off a potential difference that will be more likely to attract lightning.

Old 03-11-11, 03:42 PM
If wired correctly, the conduit running down the tree would contain a ground and that should be sufficent, it will then be carried through the panel and into the ground. the wire may decintegrate, and need to be replaced.

Old 03-11-11, 03:52 PM
Yes...everything is grounded The reason I ask is my neighbors house was struck, rather, lighting hit a tree and came in thru the power line going to his house from his night light on his pier.

Old 03-12-11, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's hard to protect anything from a direct lightning strike. Even without wires, there's a significant chance of causing damage from such a close strike.

If you're in a particularly lightning prone area, you can have lightning rods installed at high points (trees and/or the peaks of your house). It's certainly not a DIY project though and you have to determine if the cost is really worthwhile based on your location.

Old 03-12-11, 03:05 PM
Thanks....I did have a tree struck several years ago about 12 feet from the house, I was in the recliner looking out the window during a thunder storm and the house smoke detectors started going off a split second later the tree was struck. It vaporized all the water in the pine tree....it was incredible...