adding a 3-way switch

Old 03-12-11, 04:52 AM
adding a 3-way switch

I have some lights in the hallway in my basement that are on a single switch. I would like to add a switch to circuit on the other end of the hall. I wired the switch and lights myself. I have power coming into the switch and then going out to the lights. I have the ability to run the wire for the 2nd switch off the first and over to the location I want it. I cannot easily get to the wiring in the lights as they are recessed into the ceiling. Is it possible? If so, how would I wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-11, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No problem. You will need to run a 14-3 wg cable from switch one to switch two. Have available two 3 way switches available, one for each location. At the far end, away from the power, attach the black wire to the andonized screw of the switch. Attach the red and white wires to the other two screws, usually across from each other. Order is not important. At the switch where the power comes in, attach the hot wire from the source to the andonized screw on the switch. Attach the black wire from the 3 wire cable to the black wire going to the lights. Your whites should already be capped together, so leave them alone. Attach the red and white from the 3 wire cable to the other two screws on the switch. Again the order is not important.
If any of these conditions do not exist, take a picture of the switch where the power comes in with the switch pulled and power off and post it for us to see. Let us know how things go.