code question and ebay breaker safety question

Old 03-12-11, 09:51 AM
code question and ebay breaker safety question

I am a little concerned how hard will be to pull #10 wire 100 feet or so through 1/2 pipe with a few 90 degree turns (3). This is for a pool pump 220/240 line. 2 hots, and ground. I already have a 115 line in the pool house.

I doubt this is legal but I will ask anyways never know.

the 115 line I put in was run with a #12 ground wire. The receptacle I could tap into is about 5ft from the pool pump and timer. Can I tap into the ground (#12 grren ) and run some pipe over to my pool timer and use it for the ground. I will have 2 pipes for support on the timer it and I figure I could bring in a ground in one pipe and the other 220 wires from the panel 100 feet away.This would save buying 100 feet of ground and make the pull easier. Legal?

I noticed on ebay for sale a new 20 amp dual pole gfi I need for the project (Murray) for about $90.. cheapest I have found eleswhere new is about $150. Are these safe to get? are they refurbished? why so much cheaper on Ebay?

Thanks in advance any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-11, 10:41 AM
There were a lot of counterfeit Square D breakers on the market at one time. I'm sure some of those are still floating around on ebay. Don't know about Murray though. I myself would shy away from anything on ebay that was a too good to be true deal that I would rely on for the safety of my family.

Old 03-12-11, 08:33 PM
I'm not an electrician. I do work with several and have picked up a few things. One of them is that there are specific requirements for pools.

I'd urge you to check with the local wiring inspector in regards to your wiring.

As to tapping into the ground, NEC 680.21(a)(1) would seem to indicate that you can't do it. It says that the equipment grounding conductor has to be run in the raceway or included in the cable.

There are also specific bonding requirements for the pool.

As to the circuit breaker, for your own safety, buy one from a known source. $60 is nothing for the peace of mind of knowing that you have a legitimate breaker. Try an electrical supply store, they are often cheaper than a big box store.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-14-11, 01:42 AM
Thank you for the info

There were a lot of counterfeit Square D breakers on the market at one time. I'm sure some of those are still floating around on ebay
I wasn't sure if they had counterfit breakers out there, good to know they do. I will avoid ebay breakers

As to tapping into the ground, NEC 680.21(a)(1) would seem to indicate that you can't do it. It says that the equipment grounding conductor has to be run in the raceway or included in the cable.

The code makes sense I guess from a sense of keeping things clear and organized. This ground goes with this group of wires etc.

I actually did find at Lowes a Cutler-Hammer one for about $70, thats about 1/2 the price of the Murray. However I discovered the zoning board charges $60 to inspect a sub panel.

So I am thinking hmm Cutler Hammer breaker being used with Disconnect box for $10 or so? Maybe no big fee on that?

I have never installed a disconnect but I assume its basically just a big old on off switch. Do they usually charge alot for these at zoning board?

I don't really need a disconnect being that the timer I bought has a on/of switch on it.

but if it saves $60 I will install it hehe.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-14-11, 10:13 AM
150 dollars is waaay too much for that breaker. You should be able to find one locally for 110-120 dollars. Also, take a look around for a Siemans breaker. They own Murray and breakers are same. As for Ebay, I doubt if you would have an issue with a fake breaker on that....BUT 2 pole GFCI's are notorious for failure at times. Deal with someone who will take care of you in case of failure. Namely a good, local electrical distributor.

Old 03-14-11, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Tim T. View Post
I doubt this is legal but I will ask anyways never know.
The pull should be no problem with three #10s. As for the two feeds to the same area, that may or may not be legal. Generally the code allows only one circuit per outbuilding, but there are some provisions that may make it okay given that the pump is 240V. I'd say you're in a gray area unless I knew a lot more details.

Can I tap into the ground (#12 grren )
No, the ground for the pool pump must be #10 green copper (to match the #10 hots) and must run in the same conduit as the hots.

why so much cheaper on Ebay?
Well, basically because you don't know the answers to any of those questions. Could be brand new from the factory same as you would get at the supplier, or it could be refurbished, factory seconds, illegally imported, counterfeit, etc. I would not buy from eBay unless it was a reputable electrical parts dealer with high rating, their own website/storefront, customer service number, etc. Legit business do sometimes use eBay to move stale stock, but buyer beware. Honestly I prefer to deal with a local dealer who will honor the warranty if the item is defective and who won't screw me with the wrong item in the box or some other error.

charges $60 to inspect a sub panel
In my area the permit and inspection fee would be the same no matter which way you did it. You'd have to call them to see if it would be different for you.