electrical codes for my county

Old 03-13-11, 08:33 AM
electrical codes for my county

How can I get a copy of the NEC residential electrical codes for my county, is there a link you can give me or something ? I'm trying to Google it and not coming up with direct answers ! I"m trying to AVOID putting gfci outlets in my garage if at all possible, I'm a musician and they create a hum on some amplifiers. I'm going to finish the garage, (put in walls, ceiling), soon after electrical is done, I'm turning it into a studio, but I'll still be able to pull my car into it. I live in Kosciusko County, In., just outside the city limits of Syracuse.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-11, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The NEC is a "National" electrical Code. Any local variations would be approved by your local building inspector. If it will still have a concrete floor when you are through with your remodel, I don't think they will approve a variance. The concrete floor is a direct route for grounding. You may be able to install a GFCI breaker in your panel which would help alleviate the humming. If the humming is on some amps and not on others, you may want to consider a dedicated ground. It wouldn't be the fault of the GFCI, but of the amplifiers themselves.

Old 03-13-11, 09:25 AM
Thanks ! Yes, it's probably the amps. Some amps have a "polarity" switch on them, and if it's buzzing, you can usually eliminate it by switching this. I'm probably going to be installing a power conditioner also, or at least a plug-in type, not sure what these do, but probably have nothing at all to do with buzzing ! ? Just heard they are good for constant electrical supply.
You guy's have helped alot ! When I get it all done, inspected, and everything, I'll take pictures and post them. Thanks for the patience, I'm slow as an old turtle, but I WON'T do anything unless I'm positive about everything !

Old 03-13-11, 02:11 PM
The most you are likely to find is the version of the NEC your county has adopted along with any possible amendments. The version of NEC and amendments must be adopted by ordinance in order to be binding. Hospitals frequently specify isolated grounds on sophisticated equipment, that may be what you need too.

Old 03-13-11, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We run the isolated grounds on our sound equipment at church to cut down on humming. That is why I suggested it. Glad Joe had the back up.

Old 03-13-11, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys !

Old 03-13-11, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
We run the isolated grounds on our sound equipment at church to cut down on humming. That is why I suggested it. Glad Joe had the back up.
I think I remember us discussing the isolated grounding at your church in another thread a while back, maybe several months ago. When electronic cash registers started getting popular in the late '70s, they frequently also specified isolated grounds, but they also wanted them shielded. Electronics have come a long way since then.

Old 03-14-11, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My interpretation of the code is that GFCI protection is required in a garage even if it is finished. I also believe that GFCI protection is required now in most performance spaces (bar stage), so you'll have to deal with the GFCI anyway if you plan on playing at any facilities that have compliant performance spaces. Perhaps a line filter or isolation transformer is available for the amps.

Old 03-14-11, 04:50 PM
NEC Code

How can I get a copy of the NEC residential electrical codes for my county, is there a link you can give me or something ? I'm trying to Google it and not coming up with direct answers !
The National Electric Code gets revised every few years. You should contact your county planning department to find out which version is being used for electrical requirements in your county.

Old 03-14-11, 06:01 PM
Some countys and smaller rural municipalities have their minimum residential requirements listed in their book of ordinances, but you are more likely to just find the NEC version they have adopted. It won't be split into residential and commercial requirements and takes a lot of studying to really get proficient at finding what you are looking for. With my first exposure to the NEC (and I won't admit what version that was) I thought I should be in law school!

Old 03-14-11, 07:41 PM
takes a lot of studying to really get proficient at finding what you are looking for. With my first exposure to the NEC (and I won't admit what version that was) I thought I should be in law school!
It's not that bad. The only problem is frmembering code sections by nimber.

Old 03-15-11, 05:50 AM
Nec

I should have added that once you find out which version of the NEC your county uses, post it here and the electricians will help you with the requirements you need.

Old 03-15-11, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the help gentlemen !