Rewiring bathroom

Old 03-13-11, 03:04 PM
Rewiring bathroom

Hello,

A couple quick questions for a master bathroom remodel in Ontario, Canada.

Do sealed lights rated for above shower use require a GFCI connection?

How do you nail a two gang metal receptacle to a stud? Just a longer framing nail?

Any tips on lining up boxes to the studs? They're always just slightly off square on the first try.

How many line inputs can you have into a receptacle (2 gang receptacle) (I read 2, but not sure)?

Thanks for your time,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-11, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Yes if the manufacturer requires it. Code says to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

How do you nail a two gang metal receptacle to a stud? Just a longer framing nail?r
Unless your using metallic cable just use a plastic new-work box that includes the nails.

Any tips on lining up boxes to the studs? They're always just slightly off square on the first try.
Use a small piece of Sheetrock as a guide. Lay flat on the stud and be sure top and bottom are flush. Plastic boxes have marks.

How many line inputs can you have into a receptacle (2 gang receptacle) (I read 2, but not sure)?
Depends on the cubic inches of the box. Usually more then 2.

Old 03-13-11, 05:35 PM
I could be wrong, but I think NEC does require GFCI protection on shower lights. I wouldn't have a clue what the Canadian codes say.

Old 03-13-11, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NEC does not require GFI protection of shower lighting unless specified by the light manufacturer.

Old 03-13-11, 07:11 PM
How do you nail a two gang metal receptacle to a stud? Just a longer framing nail?r
Unless your using metallic cable just use a plastic new-work box that includes the nails.
I usually use a 4x4 box and a mudring. To mount them, place a 2x4 between the studs, and I prefer metal boxes, as they are more sturdy.

Old 03-13-11, 07:28 PM
Hi Justin,

Yes if the manufacturer requires it. Code says to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I'm not crazy about the plastic boxes. They feel less sturdy. I will give it a shot though if these metal boxes dont smarten up.

Use a small piece of Sheetrock as a guide. Lay flat on the stud and be sure top and bottom are flush. Plastic boxes have marks.
Makes sense. I'll give it a try.

Depends on the cubic inches of the box. Usually more then 2.
I wasnt clear in my question on this one. I was after the number of line inputs from different circuits that are allowable into a box.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This should help me speed things along.

Brian

Old 03-13-11, 07:45 PM
Hi Justin,

Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I usually use a 4x4 box and a mudring. To mount them, place a 2x4 between the studs, and I prefer metal boxes, as they are more sturdy.
I havent used a mud ring but do see how they look in pictures, though I dont see exactly how that connects with an additional 2x4.

Can you please clarify how the additional 2x4 and mud ring around a metal box is configured in a standard 2x4 16" OC wall?

Brian

Old 03-14-11, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 4x4" box only has two screws in opposing corners. The mudring has the holes for the device screws. The ring is secured by the screws of the 4x4 box.

Old 03-14-11, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
The 4x4" box only has two screws in opposing corners. The mudring has the holes for the device screws. The ring is secured by the screws of the 4x4 box.
Thanks for the help. I'll have this together tonight and report back.