Odd outlet, is it safe to cover it up?

Old 03-14-11, 07:45 AM
Odd outlet, is it safe to cover it up?

Hi, I have an odd outlet over the door in my kitchen that leads to the dining room. It looks like it would be a 220, but when we had our fuse box changed over to a breaker box the electricians tested it and said it was 110. No one seems to be able to figure out what it was for, so I am wondering if it would be okay to have it covered up. We are having new sheet rock put in the kitchen and it would be a good time to get rid of it if it's not needed. Is this safe, or does it need to be disconnected first? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
If its controlled by a single breaker (not dual pole or double handle)than it is probably 120. It may be that someone used a 240 outlet for some reason...but which of these is it?
NEMA Configurations

As to removing it....sure its possible if its the only thing on the circuit. Disconnect, cap, and label the wire at BOTH ends, remove the box, and yer done.

btw...standard terms are 120 and 240 for residential voltages. I know...many folks say 110 and 220...not sure why.

Old 03-14-11, 09:46 AM
Well, it doesn't look like any of the pictures in the link. It is a single, round plug in, like for a clothes dryer, but it only has a place for two prongs, and it is recessed into the wall. It looks like you could plug in a standard cord like to a radio or can opener. The house was built 1965, but I can't imagine what they would have had up over the kitchen door. I am guessing that it wouldn't be safe to just stick the new sheet rock up over it? It was the electrician that called it a 110, I can only go by what he said, sorry if I was wrong.

Old 03-14-11, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhhh I missed the over the door comment. Its for a clock! Like they used to have (and may still have) in schools and such.

You'll need to find out if its a single circuit fed from the panel with nothing else on it, since you can't cover up a junction box that feeds things further down the line.

Old 03-14-11, 09:58 AM
A clock, huh? Well that is cool. I may not want it covered up if I can find a clock to put there, I wonder if they still make them. It may be on a circuit by itself as we have 3-4 mystery breakers left from when we had the breaker box put in. I will check them to see. I appreciate your answers, you have been mighty helpful.

Old 03-14-11, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
May or may not have round ground opening on the bottom.

If this is it buying a clock you like may be the simplest way to cover it. A battery clock would be fine since you just want to cover it. A retro AC powered kitchen clock might look cool too though.

Old 03-14-11, 10:16 AM
If mine looked as nice as the one in your picture I wouldn't be worried about trying to cover it up, but it is just a metal box with a plug in stuck down in it. It's kind of ugly, but I'm headed to e-bay right now!

Old 03-14-11, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Kind of odd that an electrician couldn't say what it was for...musta been a youngster...lol.

Might be a good place for a small flatscreen TV?

Old 03-14-11, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Oh...depending on what you are looking for Retroplanet.com has all the old kitschy stuff

Old 03-14-11, 11:07 AM
Wow, retroplanet is great, and yeah, he was pretty young. I'm not that young, though, and I've never seen one!

Old 03-14-11, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not that young, though, and I've never seen one!
It's part a guy thing and part some of us are as old as dirt.

Old 03-14-11, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Hey! Speak for yourself ray!

I was just inquisitive as a youngster (and actually I was a DIYer for my school way back when...lol).

Old 03-14-11, 01:25 PM
Kind of odd that an electrician couldn't say what it was for...musta been a youngster...lol
I would have known what it was.

I had one in the one apartment I lived in and found it a great spot for a nightlight. It was above the range.

Old 03-14-11, 05:23 PM
If you just want it to go away you could use a blank plate and paint it to match the wall. Or....if you are using wallpaper, paper the blank plate before you install it. I found one in my kitchen soffit that had been papered over! Had no clue it was there till the old paper was coming off. The soffit was painted white and a white blank plate now covers the box and it's like.....disappeared!!

Old 03-14-11, 06:32 PM
Might be a good place for a 120v smoke alarm.