100 amp service to detached garage

Old 03-14-11, 05:48 PM
100 amp service to detached garage

I wish to run 100 amp service to a detached garage. I was going to run 4-4-4 w/dead ground. The run is approximately 140 Feet. cable will be burried in PVC Conduit. My house is setup for generater hookup. I was planning to tap off the incoming side of the transfer box (not automatic transfer), instead of pulling out of my main panel in the basement. your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. TRUE 100 amp at back garage is not imperitive.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
dead ground
Explain "dead ground". Dedicated? You always run a ground to a sub. Do you mean something else?

I was going to run 4-4-4
#2 minimum given the distance. If you have high amp draw equipment 1/0 would be better. Ground can be #6.

Cable is not normally used in conduit. In conduit you use individual THWN conductors.

was planning to tap off the incoming side of the transfer box (not automatic transfer), instead of pulling out of my main panel in the basement.
I'll let the pros weigh in on your idea. Any reason not to come off the main panel?

Last edited by ray2047; 03-15-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-15-11, 12:41 AM
In addition to what Ray wrote I need to know what kind of overcurrent protection is ahead of the manual transfer switch. You aren't planning on running a non-protected source cable are you? You may not have the ability to run from the transfer switch if it doesn't have provisions for additional lugs.

Old 03-15-11, 04:36 PM
Were you planning on copper or aluminum conductors? Either is fine if they are sized properly.

Old 03-15-11, 05:18 PM
100 Amp service to detached garage

To clear up some issues.
1. I am going to use copper wire, don't trust aluminum.
2. It will be burried in pvc conduit.
3. The main service for the house goes into the manual transfer switch,and then into the main panel in the basement. I didn't really want to bore another hole in the side of my house if i didn't have to. The garage next to my house also comes directly out of the tranfer switch. The transfer switch is non-fused.
4. What I am calling "dead ground" is what would be the 4th wire, "bonding wire or ground wire"
In my way of thinking this hook-up wouldn't be any different the if a Service
wire was run from the pole to the detached garage.