doorbell rings inconsistently

Old 03-15-11, 12:28 AM
doorbell rings inconsistently

Doorbell stopped working a while back, and I finally got to it.

The wiring from the transformer covers 3 apartments, each with a buzzer for the gate and a bell. The gate buzzer makes noise, but doesn't open. I don't care about the gate buzzer but would like to get the doorbell working.

The doorbell in question reads 10v when the button is not pressed, and 21v when the button is pressed.

I replaced the chime, thinking that was the issue. The bell works inconsistently, i have to play around with the wires on the screws on the chime to get it to ring. It will ring once or twice and then stop ringing all together. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 08:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Where are you measuring your voltage from? Did you replace the transformer when you replaced your chime? Has anyone looked at the gate latching mechanism to see if it is intact, or wired properly?

Old 03-15-11, 01:04 PM
I am measuring voltage at the chime.

I haven't looked at the gate latching mechanism, but at this point I am inclined to abandon it. It doesn't serve a practical purpose.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-11, 06:05 PM
If both bell and chime work, but intermittently, I'd be suspect of the wiring and/or connections. I'd start by checking the connections at each button, transformer, chime and bell to be sure they are all tight. You could also have a broken wire as well, but I'd check connections first.

Old 03-15-11, 07:26 PM
Thanks. Does the voltage at the chime I describe below sound right (20 v when the button is pushed, 10 v when it's not pushed

The funny thing is, the voltage still measures 20v at the chime when it does (and when it doesn't) work.

In that case, if i play with the wire a bit, i can usually get it to ring for a bit.

Does that lead you to any different conclusions?

Old 03-15-11, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. Does the voltage at the chime I describe below sound right (20 v when the button is pushed, 10 v when it's not pushed
No it should be higher with no load and lower with a load. Is the gate release on the same transformer? Do they share a cable? Do the bells work reliably in the other two apartments.

Old 03-15-11, 10:43 PM
All of the gate releases are on the same transformer. I believe they share a cable.

First floor - doorbell works consistently (no gate release)
Second floor - one in question (neither doorbell nor gate release work consistently)
Third floor - (neither doorbell nor gate release work consistently) - I haven't been working on this because the tenants don't complain.

One thing that comes to mind is that the one apartment whose doorbell does work well is the only one without the gate release (it's on the first floor and doesn't need a gate release because you don't have to go down stairs to the door.)

Maybe the gate release is the problem? I could abandon the gate release wires?

Old 03-15-11, 11:09 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe the gate release is the problem? I could abandon the gate release wires?
That was my thought. See if the no load voltage on the bell goes up when you disconnect them. I'm thinking both use the same cable and there is some sort of fault in the cable.

Old 03-15-11, 11:58 PM
Thanks for your help Ray. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-24-11, 05:15 PM
I replaced the transformer and that did the trick!