Help with 3 way switch

Old 03-15-11, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with 3 way switch

Hello. I recently moved into a new home. It is a fixer upper and there were a few light switches missing when I moved in. I have everything working good except for one light.

The Problem:
This light that I have to install switches for is one light controlled by 2 different switches and the top and bottom of the stairs. I purchased 3 way switches and attempted to install them but I have only gotten it to be able to be controlled by one switch. Both switches will work but not at the same time. For example, if the top switch is working and I turn the light off, the bottom switch will not work at all. But if I leave the top switch on then I can use the bottom switch, but when I use the bottom switch now the top switch does not work.

At the bottom of the stairs the wires coming out of the wall are 1 black, 1 red, 1 white, and 1 copper ground.

At the top of the stairs the wires coming out of the wall are 2 black and 1 red.

The switches I bought are 3 way and allow wires to be plugged directly in and on the screw at 3 locations plus a ground connection.

In what locations should I connect the wires on the switches? I have tried many different variations and had no luck. I do not have another light in the house similar to this to compare to.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Try this combination: at the bottom put the white on the odd colored screw, at the top put the black that is not in the same cable as the red on the odd colored screw. Put the black and red on the other two screws. Splice any grounds together and also to the green screw on the switches.

Old 03-15-11, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just got it! Red on the side by itself,,,thought thats what i had tried first. Thanks!