Help with Electric Outlet

Old 03-15-11, 08:57 AM
Help with Electric Outlet

Hi,

My cousin just bought a new place 2 months ago and in his room his Mom was going to vaccum and at the same time the TV was also running (TV and Vaccum both were connected to outlets in his rooms) as sson as she started vaccumming both the TV and the vaccum went off. We thought probably a fuse has tripped so we checked the fuse box and everything was fine there. We even reset the fuse for that room and still the electrical outlets are not working. I can switch the Room lights on & off but its just the electrical outlets they don't work at all.

His Room doesn't have GFCI outlet. I don't know if that makes a difference but I thought its worth mentioning.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you have a breaker box not a fuse box and you have already done step one, turn the breaker off then on.

Next step is to turn off the breaker, open the box of the receptacle the vacuum was plugged into and check for any loose wires. If the wires are inserted into the back of the receptacle (backstabbed) move them to the screws. If there are wire nuts redo those connections with new wire nuts.

His Room doesn't have GFCI outlet.
GFCI receptacles could be anywhere not just in the room but receptacles in bedrooms are not usually GFCI protected. Sounds more like the vacuum's heavy load further loosened an already loose connection. It could be where the vacuum was pluged in or elsewhere. The box where the conection failed might still be working if it failed on the side that feeds the next conection.

Old 03-15-11, 10:24 AM
Thanks. Just wondering so whats a GFCI good for?

Old 03-15-11, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A GFI shuts down the power when the outgoing power is not balanced by the returning power to minimize a shock hazard.