I wanna be grounded

Old 03-15-11, 07:03 PM
I wanna be grounded

I moved the my panel about 20 feet into the middle of the house and put a disconnect in as follows: I have 100 amp service.Two feet from the meter I have a disconnect(outside in the back of the house.) Twenty feet away in the house I have the panel, thirty feet farther away and down one floor I have the water service- a copper pipe coming into the house. I also have a ground rod next to the meter out in the back.

Do I need two separate ground connections, I was just going to connect the main to the water pipe and the main to the ground rod outside

Is there any rules about where a ground can't go through your house, like under the bathroom or touching ductwork (it doesn't sound smart) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-11, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the ground/neutral bar in your outside disconnect, you should run a bare #6 copper to the ground rod(s). Also from that ground bar, run a bare #8 copper to the water service pipe (within 5' of entering the house). This wire should jumper the meter (if it is indoors) by clamping on to the pipe before and after the meter. You should try to keep this wire straight as possible with gentle bends and be protected from damage.

The new "main" panel inside the house should have a separate equipment ground conductor back to the outdoor disconnect, and an isolated neutral bar.

Old 03-16-11, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info, you guys are great.