Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I connect a new receptacle to a run between receptacle #3 and 4?

Old 03-16-11, 06:40 PM

I built a bedroom in the basement. I installed a 20amp afci breaker in the box. From there I used 12g wire. The wire goes out of the box over to the first receptacle. From there it goes to the 2nd then to the 3rd. From the third it goes up into the celing and over to another wall.
So I have two wires hooked up going into the receptalce and the two wires coming out of the receptacle to feed the 4th receptacle in the circuit.
This is where I want to add another receptacle... I'm unsure where to hook the wires to feed another receptacle since all the screws are being utilized.
Do I just connect all of the existing black wires plus the wires for the new receptacle plus a biggy back to feed receptacle #3 plus all of the white wires plus a piggy back for receptacle #3 then feed receptacle #3 with the piggy backs?
I hope this makes sense... Hard to put it in writing. I can try to clarify if I need to.
Thanks for the help/advice.

Last edited by RoxRox; 03-16-11 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-11, 07:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Yes, you would pigtail the blacks and whites to receptacle 3 and by consolidating them you will have a free screw head. Remember, one screw, one wire.

Old 03-16-11, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! Yes, you would pigtail the blacks and whites to receptacle 3 and by consolidating them you will have a free screw head. Remember, one screw, one wire.
So... After I make the piggy backs will I only be utilizing half of the screws on receptacle #3?

I will have 4 black wires, 4 white wires, and the copper wires put together right? One from the hot wire coming in, one for the wire going to feed receptacle #4, one going to feed the new receptacle, and one for the piggy back?
Is this correct???
Thanks!!!

Old 03-16-11, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Their pigtails but yes, that is correct.

Old 03-30-11, 05:47 PM
So the two pig tails will be the only wires connected to receptacle #3 right?

Old 03-30-11, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.

Old 03-30-11, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may be looking at a box fill violation depending on the size of the box.

With 4 black and 4 whites + 2 for the device and + 1 for the ground you have 11 #12s.

11*2.25 = 24.75 cubic inch capacity minimum. The largest single gang box is typically 22 cubic inches.