Manual Fluorescent Starter Wiring

Old 03-17-11, 03:09 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Manual Fluorescent Starter Wiring

I have an old fluorescent lamp that has the Manual starter switch (Two buttons Red/Black)

The one I have has six screws and the fixture has two ballasts one for each lamp
Anyway I had to replace the power cord (Frayed) and I stupidly undid everything so I need help fixing my lamp. I really like this lamp (Bright) and it has sentimental value as it was my deceased grandfathers (So I don't want to toss it)

Also where can I get the T12 lamps that this fixture requires? It seems Home Depot does not carry the 40W ones anymore

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-11, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bulb question is easy. Big box stores seldom have 40W T-12 lamps as these are no longer used in new fixtures or construction. Everything is now T-8, T-5 or one of the other many new lamps out there....However an Indepedant electrical distributor should have these yet for replacement use. Call any of your electrical suppliers in the area and they should be able to fix you up. Not sure what to tell you on that old manual starter....they simply don't make those anymore and the ballasts are obsolete now too. I know yours is good yet but consider upgrading the fixture to a 32 watt T-8 ballast and eliminate all the wiring you have there, Most likely can't use your old switch but if it does not leave an unsightly hole you would be better off. If you want to keep it original then you will need some help.

Old 03-17-11, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The switch works I just need help wiring it

Will a T8 fit in a T12 Tombstone?

If so I will buy a T8 Ballast and leave the switch where it is a put a heavy duty switch on the line cord (Not the cheapo 3A ones I mean one of the bigger ones)

I think it will need a new ballast(S) also as one is leaking and smells bad

The problem was the power cord as my Cat chewed on it (Cat is fine, I was moving my desk so the lamp was unplugged) So I stupidly undid everything so I don't know where all of the wires go

Thanks

Old 03-17-11, 04:57 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Will a T8 fit in a T12 Tombstone?
Yes, they will. The new ballast will wire differently but there should be a schematic right on the ballast label.

Old 03-17-11, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, as answered in previous post the T-8's fit right into the old T12 sockets, but will wire differently. The new ballasts are now electronic and smaller. One thing to watch for....if yours has the can style ballasts and one is leaking, many older ballasts had PCB's in them until the late 70's so do not get any of the crud on you when you changing them out. Smaller bulbs usually used the smaller core type ballasts (look like a transformer) amd those should not be a problem but I am pretty sure yours is the can style(enclosed). As a precaution, handle as little as possible.

Old 03-17-11, 08:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I don't know how attached you are to this light but a new fluorescent one might be cheaper.