Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Will a Light fixture on the same line as a GFCI receptacle cause problems?

Old 03-18-11, 08:14 AM

I want to provide GFCI receptacle protection to my bathroom receptacle. The bathroom receptacle is on a wall that has another receptacle on the other side of the wall where my basement steps are located.

When we first moved into this house in 1992 (house was built in 1980) the main service panel breakers were not labeled. So we turned on all the lights and put nightlights into the receptacles and started to turn the breakers on and off to try and find what controlled what.

We found out that the two receptacles, the bathroom receptacle, and the basement steps receptacle are on the same breaker, but so is our front door light.

I'm pretty sure that the feeder line comes into the basement steps receptacle before it carries any current into the bathroom (I'll be checking to make sure). But I don't know for sure how the light is wired into this line.

Two questions.
.1 If the GFCI receptacle is put into the basement steps receptacle box, will it also be providing the same protection in the bathroom?
From what I have read, I believe that is true.

.2 Will the front door light cause problems with the GFCI receptacles tripping off ?
This light is mostly left on 24/7 and uses a 13W CFL bug-light, light bulb.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-11, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be better to install the GFI in the bathroom instead of the steps.

The light should not cause any issues if it is properly wired.

Old 03-18-11, 08:56 AM
The reason I was thinking of putting the GFCI receptacle at the basement steps location was because a piece of the dry wall is broken and the box is easy to get to.

I have already installed another GFCI receptacle in the basement and found out that the receptacle boxes in this house are not as deep as they should be to make installing GFCI receptacles easy.

It will not be hard to replace the receptacle box at the steps, but will be a lot harder to do so in the bathroom.

Old 03-18-11, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bathroom box should not be that hard to replace. Use a hacksaw blade to cut between the box and stud and sever the nails. Pull the box out through the front of the wall and replace with an old-work box or AI "one" box. If you're careful you can do it without any drywall damage.

Old 03-18-11, 09:38 AM
I'll take a closer look at the box in the bathroom, but there is no drywall, it is some kind of wall paneling that is in the bathroom.