light fixture

Old 03-19-11, 06:50 PM
light fixture

I need some help on wiring this light fixture I relaced light fixture over bath room sink & wires are twisted together as they were when fixture was taken down but when i wire to fixture the light will come on but will not turn off at switch.
There are 2 black twisted together & 2 white twisted together & a single white coming out of junction box i think the white goes to something but i tried using a jump wire & to see which one it may connect to but blew a fuse so i decided to get some help.The fixture has 2 blacks twisted together & 2 white twisted together with a single white & single black wire coming from each twist lock on fixture.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-11, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you might be dealing with a mis-wired switch loop. Try the fixture black to the lone white. Fixture whites to the white group.

Old 03-19-11, 09:49 PM
wiring light fixture

Ok are you sayin hook black wires from fixture to single white wire in junction box & then i would hook the white wires from fixture to white wires in junction box.
What do i do with the 2 black wires in junction box are were they never hooked to anything to start with next time i will write down how the wires were connected before taking wires loose.
Thanks for your help

Old 03-19-11, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
PCboss means you probably have a switch loop. Nomally the connections are reversed from what you have to avoid the confusion you are having. Yes just cap the two blacks. White of the light should go to the white of power in. black of the light should go to the white of the switch loop.

Old 03-20-11, 10:20 PM
light fixture

I just wanted to let all know that i appreciate the help with wiring light fixture.
I caped the 2 black wires like you said & ran 2 black from fixture to white in box & white from fixture to single white in box as to your instructions & every thing worked great.im not sure i would have ever figured out what to do.
Thanks a lot

Old 03-21-11, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.