Lindeman: Short caused no power to junction box.

Old 03-20-11, 12:35 PM
Question Lindeman: Short caused no power to junction box.

I just reinstalled a chandelier. I accidentally pinched the chandelier's two wires. when I reactivated the circuit breaker, there was a pop. I fixed the chandelier's wires where they shorted. Now there is no power to the two supply wires at the over head junction box. I tested the switch that operates the chandelier, and there is power to the switch in the wall. What is the problem now?

thanks,
Lindeman

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-11, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. I have started a new thread for you. Please don't hijack threads. Please start your own otherwise the answers get confusing as nobody knows who is answeing what to whom.

Now there is no power to the two supply wires at the over head junction box. I tested the switch that operates the chandelier, and there is power to the switch in the wall.
Do you have a single 2-conductor cable at the switch with black and white to the switch?

If not do you have a 2-conductor cable and a 3-conductor cable at the switch box with the whites wire nutted to each other and a red and a pigtail from the blacks on the switch?

Last edited by ray2047; 03-20-11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is probably a burned off wire caused by the high current during the short. Check any wire nut connections (undo and redo) sometimes they burn off where you can't see it. Check any connections to receptacles or switches, especially push-ins (backstabs) as those burn off easily. If this is a fancy switch (dimmer, timer, etc) it might be smoked.

The problem connection could be at the switch box or any box upstream in the circuit. It can be tedious to find.

Old 03-21-11, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the hijacking. Thought that's what the directions said, but wouldn't be the first time I misread. Thanks for straightening me out.

I'll have to go back and look at the switch. I'm doing a friend a favor (some favor I've done). Would you mind commenting on both scenarios as going to her house is not always convenient. I'd like to limit my visits.

I was confused as to how there are only two wires to the switch (type with up and down slide to dim). I did notice a couple of wire nuts behind the switch.

Thanks for both replies.

Peter

Thanks,
Peter

Old 03-21-11, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
I did notice a couple of wire nuts behind the switch.
Those need to be removed, wires checked, and redone. I'd just use new nuts but you can look in them to make sure the springs are good and no corrosion.

My original question was to determine where the power came in, at the switch or at the light. You seemed to be saying power at both places which would not normally be true.

Old 03-21-11, 07:19 PM
(type with up and down slide to dim).
There's the problem. replace the dimmer and see if it works. best to use a cheap toggle switch before spending $16 for a dimmer.

Old 03-23-11, 02:30 PM
It was the dimmer switch. So simple. 10 bucks at HD. She's happy, I'm happy. Thanks so much for both of your advice.

Peter

Old 03-23-11, 02:58 PM
Glad to help. What did the inside of the dimmer look like?