Need help replacing one light switch with a double switch

Old 03-20-11, 12:59 PM
Need help replacing one light switch with a double switch

I am trying to separate the light from the ceiling fan on the light switch in the bathroom. I don't want to have to hear the roar of the fan every time I walk in to turn the light on. I tried to draw the layout of the hot (black) wires. Any idea what is going on here? I thought maybe 1-5 were the same circuit, but then why do 3-5 come up as three wires and not one? Is 6 leading to the light and the fan?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-11, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure why there three hots in the same pipe tied together, but from the looks of your diagram #6 is your switch leg to the fan/light. You can confirm this by checking it with a meter.

In order to do what you want you need to add another wire with wire 6. The will be your switch leg for the fan or light, which ever the case may be. (IE: If the pipe with #6 goes to the light first, then the new wire will connect to the wire going to the fan. If it goes to the fan first, the connect the new wire to the wire going to the light.)

Old 03-20-11, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
In order to do what you want you need to add another wire with wire 6. The will be your switch leg for the fan or light, which ever the case may be. (IE: If the pipe with #6 goes to the light first, then the new wire will connect to the wire going to the fan. If it goes to the fan first, the connect the new wire to the wire going to the light.)
It's funny, after I drew this, I realized what you were saying. Wires 3-5 were just confusing me at first. I guess they link to something in the other rooms. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks. Hopefully the wire will be easy to feed.