Outdoor GFCI keeps tripping

Old 03-21-11, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor GFCI keeps tripping

About a year ago i tied into an existing circuit (which was NOT overloaded) from an inside receptacle. I added an outdoor GFCI receptacle and continued on and added a switched light. Tonight during the rain the GFCI was making weird noises, I went outside to find the GFCI had tripped. When i hit the reset button the light still would not work, but the GFCI receptacle read 120 on my tester. The light, switch, and GFCI are all covered withe weather resistant covers and appeared NOT wet.

Let me know if you need and more info, I will open the GFCi up tomorrow, if it is not raining.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-11, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you using an all weather bubble type "in use" receptacle cover? Reason I ask is you said "weather resistant" and not weather proof. Is the seal behind this cover intact? Is there any water infiltration into the box containing the receptacle? You will continue to get 120 volts to the GFCI until the breaker trips. The GFCI only protects the prongs plugged into it and any downline items that are tied to the "LOAD" portion of the receptacle. Remember when resetting a GFCI in the rain, you still have 120 volts present, so don't do it.
A better solution is to, of course, run a dedicated line on a GFCI breaker, or if the receptacle you tapped off of was at the end of the run, install the GFCI there protecting all the wiring outside the dwelling.

Old 03-22-11, 12:48 AM
Thank you all for the replies. Heres what i found today after the rain stopped.

GFCI was getting no reading and would not reset. Unscrewed the GFCI to find water (DAMN). I checked the cover and the foam gasket was a little loose around the sides. Thats the only way I could see moisture getting in
I shut power off and wired a new GCFI incoming to LINE and outgoing to LOAD. Everything now works fine.
I uned some silicone around the gasket between the cover and thd the box. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Is my old GFCI no good? Is there a way to tell?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 03-22-11, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since it was exposed to water, for $11 I wouldn't try to reuse it. It wouldn't reset, so the internal workings are probably toast.

Old 03-22-11, 06:24 PM
The new gfi's have lockout so when the guts are fried they will not reset.