Old Splitter-How Old?

Old 03-22-11, 06:13 PM
Old Splitter-How Old?

I have acouple of pics of an old triple-tap. Couls someone please tell me how old it is? It is built way better than anything today and also has great contacts.
[url=http://www.electrical-photos.com/showphoto.php/photo/1363/title/old-splitter/cat/503][/url

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-11, 06:17 PM
Probably from the 1950s, possibly early '60s.

Old 03-22-11, 06:35 PM
What does the "M" on the prong stand for? More pics on the way.

Old 03-23-11, 12:50 PM
Justin I think that is a "W" rather than an "M". Should be Westinghouse, which went the way of the Dodo years ago. There is a Westinghouse company now but that is the old Angelo Brothers company who simply bough the rights to the name some years ago to help them sell their imported lamps....I would say late 50's to 60's as well.

Old 03-23-11, 01:17 PM
Click photo for larger image

I don't think that Is a W.

Old 03-23-11, 01:25 PM
For what it's worth I don't think it is a W either. It is, obviously, some kind of manufacturer's logo but whose I don't know.

Old 03-23-11, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The "M" looks like the old Mueller Industries logo. They make every shape of copper and brass thing you can imagine.

Old 03-23-11, 03:44 PM
Maybe not Westinghouse...but it looks like a W when inverted. Hard to say though for sure. So many manufacturers have went out of business over the years. Circle F, Eagle (now cooper), Westinghouse, Slater (P&S aquired). Probably alot more than I have heard of. Mueller makes mostly alligator clips and such, but who knows.....might do a search for vintage electrical parts and see if I can find a logo similar.

Old 03-23-11, 04:10 PM
Take a look a ALL of the pics he has listed....one or two look like an M but the one of the "guts" when you look close does not look like an M. Westinghouse used multiple logos over the decades, just looks like one of their older ones. Looks to be a W with a bulb at the top. Of course, I have been wrong before and will be again!!!

Old 03-23-11, 06:25 PM
Not so sure the logo is Westinghouse, but the old time cube tap is definitely from the '50s. There were other companies whose names started with a "W" over the years. Anyone remember Wm. Wurdack? I saw a Wurdack panelboard still in use just today in an old WWII ammunition warehouse built in 1941.

Old 03-23-11, 06:36 PM
Wow....never heard of that one...and I have worked for the same electrical distributor since 79' and as a buyer since 82' so I have seen just about every panel / breaker manufacturer there was...so I thought.

We have a fellow in our showroom who repairs and rebuilds old lamps and fixtures and some of the manufacturers that were around the early part of the century is wild to see. A lot of companies were into electrical parts and as with many others they are now extinct. Still great to see though. Westinghouse is one of the oldest obviously, but they weren't alone.

Old 03-24-11, 06:13 PM
the M stands for Mono Watt, which at one time was a ge subsidiary

Old 03-25-11, 05:56 PM
the M stands for Mono Watt, which at one time was a ge subsidiary
THAT'S IT!
wELCOME TO THE FORUMS, NOMA4JON

Old 03-25-11, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I collect all sorts of old electrical devices, light sockets and plugs. I also collect christmas lights as well! In fact, I have the exact same tri-tap right next to my computer right now. Generally if they have a good grasp I will still use them for older non polarized devices.

Old 03-26-11, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Let me second thar welcome.

Hmm, Christmass tree lights. You and Justin just might have something in common.

Old 03-26-11, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I collect all sorts of old electrical devices, light sockets and plugs. I also collect christmas lights as well! In fact, I have the exact same tri-tap right next to my computer right now. Generally if they have a good grasp I will still use them for older non polarized devices.
Same here. The old stuff is built alot better and actually lasts more than a week. I still use alot of electrical things from my great grandmother, although they are usually only limited to small amounts of christmas lights because they are not polarized and the cords only are 18awg. The contacts are great, they have more surface area and can be retensioned.