Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

how much wire leave in main panel box? how to add ground bar main panel?

Old 03-23-11, 09:16 AM

I know its 6 inch minumum in a regular outlet box.

how many inches of wire minimum do you need to leave in a panel box according to nec code?

I have run out of space on my neutral/ground bar in the main panel. Its a Ge panel and I was able to find the right bar kit listed on panel information. Do I need to run a #8 wire from the old neutral ground bar to the new one? Or does just mounting it to the panel ground it?

I don't know what wires are behind the panel box can I mount the bar deep on the sides of the panel box instead of the back?

Thanks in advance for help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-11, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Tim T. View Post
how many inches of wire minimum do you need to leave in a panel box according to nec code?
6", same as a regular box. Obviously it makes sense to leave more.

Do I need to run a #8 wire from the old neutral ground bar to the new one? Or does just mounting it to the panel ground it?
As long as the bar is firmly attached to the box with tapped machine screws you are not required to bond the bars with a copper wire, but you can it if you want to. I probably would bond it since this is a ground/neutral bar. If it was just the ground then the mounting screws are sufficient.

I don't know what wires are behind the panel box
A typical installation would have no wires behind the panel box. I would mount it to the back.

Old 03-23-11, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The add on ground bars are for grounding wires only. You can move some grounding conductors from the neutral buss to the new bar.

If you were to mount the new bar on the side of the panel it will be hard to access the screws.

Old 03-23-11, 05:19 PM
Excess Wire

how many inches of wire minimum do you need to leave in a panel box
You need enough to make the connections of the black, white, and ground. In a rough in, I like to leave enough to reach from where the cable comes into the panel cabinet, down that side, across the bottom, and up to the top on the other side. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-24-11, 01:44 AM
thanks replies suprised on both actually, learn something new everyday I guess.

The add on ground bars are for grounding wires only. You can move some grounding conductors from the neutral buss to the new bar
I know you have to seperate neutral and Ground in the subpanels but I thought you could mix the 2 if it was in the main panel, I guess your point is its a ground bar so no neutrals in it. So no neutrals in a ground bar kit anywhere it sounds like, that was news to me!
how many inches of wire minimum do you need to leave in a panel box according to nec code?6", same as a regular box. Obviously it makes sense to leave more
I couldn't remember but I thought I had read or heard 12 inches, only 6 inches that is good to know.

I do try to go up and around on the subpanels as described but main panel is pretty crowded don't really have room to do that on it.

Thanks help!

Old 03-24-11, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you were to add a neutral to the add-in ground bar you would have current flowing on the case trying to get to the neutral to return to the source.

Old 03-24-11, 09:49 AM
ah

If you were to add a neutral to the add-in ground bar you would have current flowing on the case trying to get to the neutral to return to the source.
hmm that makes sense, good to know the reason behind the rule.