Moving a breaker panel


Old 03-23-11, 05:29 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a breaker panel

Hi, I am moving a breaker panel from one side of the to the inside of the house, my question is what gauge of wire do I use to connect to main feed coming in to the breaker box?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-11, 06:11 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,174
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
What size service do you currently have? Will the new panel supply power to all of the house or just a portion?
Old 03-23-11, 07:33 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,702
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
If this is the main panel directly fed from the meter, you'll need to add a disconnect switch at the meter if you don't already have one. First you need to answer the questions from pcboss.
Old 03-23-11, 08:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house was built in 1955, there is a fuse box in the mechanical room, then there was a breaker box installed in a closet on an out side wall. I am going to completely re wire the entire house, I need to bring service to the center of the home(small ranch)for a bout a 100 amp or better service, I think a 100 amp is enough. I am not sure what the proper wire needed to take the power from the meter to the new breaker box.

Thank you for responding
Old 03-23-11, 08:44 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am not sure what the proper wire needed to take the power from the meter to the new breaker box.
You can't just take power from the meter box. This ia something that should only be done by an electrician. The meter socket may need to be changed out if your current service is not 100 amps or more. You may need a new mast if it is a drop. If you plan to run wire more then 5 feet in the walls you will need a main disconnect.
Old 03-23-11, 10:47 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are couple issue allready arise now with modern NEC codés first thing is the distance from meter socket to the new location of load centré you more likely have to add a outdoor disconnect swtich then from disconnect swtich to the load centré you will need 4 conductor cable or in conduit with THHN/THWN type conductor the size will depending on the load caluations and what size service you will be using.

Second thing I know very old codés they used have breaker box in closet but not anymore so if you going do upgrading the whole thing then it will be wise to get rid of the breaker box in closet { there will be clearance issue will trump it.}

It will be much wiser to run new load centré and do it right from begaining so will have less things go wrong when you do the final connections the reason why I suggest to ditch the breaker box in closet due less thing can go wrong and have everything at one spot so make it easier to trobleshooting.

The common size of load centre is 100 amp , 150 amp ( fairly common ) and 200 amp size the 100 or 200 is the most common one.

Make sure get the larger number of spaces { breakers } for 100 amp panel I useally get them in 30 space size I know they cost little more but much neater than try to add a subpanel as far for 200'er go with 40 or 42 panel { I know more and more states can have more than 42 space panel you can have many as 60 or 84 spaces }( only with states that do adpoted 2008 or later NEC code and their states allow that )

Old 03-24-11, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,408
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Some other suggestions:

- It sounds like you want to move where the service enters the house. If this is the case, you need to start with the power company as they may or may not agree to move the aerial drop.

- Around here, the homeowner is responsible for everything from the roof-line down, minus the actual meter. So if you're upgrading your service or the old service entry wires are well worn, you'll need to replace the wire, conduit, meter pan, and wiring to the box, all of course sized appropriately for your service.

- You said "I think a 100 amp is enough". I know I wouldn't want to spend $500-$1500 on a project like this to find out 5 years down the road 100A wasn't enough. Have you thought about AC, on-demand hot water heaters, supplemental electric heat in the house, etc? The cost difference between 100A, 150A and 200A isn't that much, and now's an excellent time to spend a few extra dollars if needed.

- Also, check yourself to make sure you're up for this project, in terms of time, knowledge, and experience. I know I wouldn't want a main panel upgrade to be my first electrical project. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it... just that a lot of people out there shouldn't try

Regardless - feel free to ask questions! This is quite the helpful group!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: