Hot Tub Bonding

Old 03-26-11, 01:13 PM
Hot Tub Bonding

Before you all get mad at me because this topic has been pretty well covered, I found that it was covered only in regards to hot tubs sitting on a concrete pad. In my case, my hot tub (a Jacuzzi) is sitting on a wood deck which is sitting on a concrete slab. Do I still need to bond it to the concrete pad?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-11, 01:18 PM
the motor and any metal components need to be bonded / grounded. You will probably find a lug near the motor that provides a place for you to attach a groundingconductor. You should ground the tub with at least a #8 THHN.

Old 03-26-11, 01:21 PM
thanks. I hope I can find something to bond it to. I imagine, it being a 4" slab, that there is a grid within it. All I have to do is chip out a bit???

Old 03-26-11, 01:35 PM
a padio may not have rebar in it, it may have 10 gauge metal mesh. You could save yourself some concrete busting and just drive a 5/8" x 8' ground rod and connect to that to create an equipotential grounding plane.

Make sure the motor and heater are grounded with a conductor feeding the unit. Bonding and grounding are of equal importance.

Remember its all for your own safety.

Old 03-26-11, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ground rods are for high voltage events like lightning. They are not driven for pools or hot tubs.

Old 03-26-11, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
I was told by the union electritian that helped me wire my hot tub not to put a sepearte grounding rod for the hot tub. I am not a electrician but he said the electric and grounding rod for the house is what you want and enough. He said you will take from the house ground if I ground the tub. ( something like that )

OK what he was saying I guess is you dont want more then one ground rod. Why? I dont know.

I am sure a electrician can explain.

Mike NJ

Old 03-26-11, 04:18 PM
if you connect the ground lug on the tub frame to the ground in the feed cable you will have a proper ground. Bonding of a pool or tub deck slab is when you connect the rebar in the concrete at the time the concrete is poured.

Last edited by pcboss; 03-26-11 at 08:35 PM. Reason: removed comment about ground rod for clarity
Old 03-26-11, 07:17 PM
You dont need a ground rod at a hot tub. Its not in the code. You just need to make sure its properly grounded using the lug located near the motor connection.

My post about ground rods has nothing to do with code.

My comment about 2 ground rods was that some jurisdictions require 2 ground rods for the main service ground not just one.

Old 03-26-11, 07:45 PM
I thought the disconnect panel needs a ground rod R two.

Old 03-26-11, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I thought the disconnect panel needs a ground rod R two.
No not at the spa / hot tub useage the only time you will have to do that if you install a subpanel for spa / hot tub useage as feeder branch circuit then yes you have to sink a ground rod however if this is a single circuit then no you do NOT need a ground rod for it.

For rest of the readers this part will stated in the NEC codé but I have to get that number but I know it is in somewhere in 680 to get the excat numbers.

Keep in your mind the spa / hot tubs have very specfic rules to follow not only with NEC but also there is addtional local codes will come up as well so that need to run by local inspection officals for latest info.

Merci.
Marc

Old 03-30-11, 06:46 PM
For what it's worth, when I put my hot tub in, the local inspectors told me that because it was a self-contained unit (considered "portable"), the bonding did not apply. Of course, the equipment ground had to be properly hooked up, but no other bounding of the hottub to nearby metal.

Rich

Old 03-31-11, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's an odd iterpretation. Most "portable" and "package" tubs are pre-bonded internally, that is the control panel, blower, pump and heater are bonded already, but you should still need to bond to exposed metal outside the tub.