Changing location of outlet

Old 03-28-11, 09:58 AM
Changing location of outlet

Hello everyone, first post, just found this forum. I will be a first time home owner on Apr 4th and have my first project in mind.

I am going to be doing some cabinetry work in the kitchen and here is my question. I want to change the location of the outlets on the walls that I'm adding cabinets. Right now, the outlets are baseboard level and I want to raise them so that I can have outlets at the counter top level. Can this be done simply by fishing the existing wire and raising it to the new location, then covering the old location with drywall? Or do I need to re-wire from the new location to the junction box?

Thanks in advance.

Txman

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 10:15 AM
Please be informed that kitchen counter-top receptacle circuits must be rated at 20 amps , and two such circuits are required for the small kitchen appliances that are placed on the counter-top. There is also the requirement for protecting these circuits with Ground-Fault Interrupter devices.

If you are adding new additional counter-top space in the kichen , then you must be Code-compliant by installing the required 20 amp circuit . You first need to examine your Service panel to determine if there is space for an additional circuit.

Good Luck , and Learn & Enjoy from the Experience .

Old 03-28-11, 11:50 AM
Understood...is it safe to say that baseboard level outlets are rated differently?

Old 03-28-11, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by txman14 View Post
Right now, the outlets are baseboard level
Is this a very old home? I usually only see baseboard height receptacles in ~100 year houses that were retrofitted with electricity after construction.

then covering the old location with drywall?
No, all electrical boxes must be permanently accessible even if they do not have a switch or receptacle installed.

Or do I need to re-wire from the new location to the junction box?
You will almost certainly need to install new circuit(s) to meet the modern code for kitchens. You will need to identify the source of the existing receptacles and permanently disconnect them from power before they can be buried behind cabinets or drywall.