Garage Heater

Old 03-29-11, 08:48 AM
Garage Heater

I am thinking of installing a 5000 watt heater in my garage. Currently the garage is operating on a 60 amp subfed pannel from my main 200amp pannel in my home. My question is can is safely hook up this heater to that 60 amp sub service?

Thanks for the speedy replies. I know that I phrased the question somewhat generically as I do have some electrial experience but lack the technical expertise needed to make these decisions. I do have a small compressor that I only use on a limited basis, there is a deep freezer out there that runs constently, otherwise only lighting and outlets no welder.

Last edited by fishbone; 03-29-11 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 08:55 AM
The short answer is "yes" as you are only pulling 20 amps of power at 240 volts. However what else do you have in the garage? if you have welders, compressors and the like you may have issues. if you just have lights and receptacles you should be fine. Go through all of your electrical and list the usage for all to see what maximum usage would be.

Also, what is the wire size and size of breaker feeding the panel??

Old 03-29-11, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like Jim said, it should be okay. You'll need to turn the heater off while you're running your welder (if you have one), but other than that it should be no problem.

Old 03-29-11, 01:26 PM
If you do install this heater be sure to use 10 guage copper wire.....12 gauge not big enough, and use a 30 amp breaker. You never want to go beyond 80% of a breaker's rating.

Old 03-29-11, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Just a note. Have you considered something like this?

Mr. Heater Ventless Gas Heater 20000 - 30000 BTU | QC Supply

Its only a example. There are many products out there. You dont need to vent. How far is your gas meter? Any gas lines around? You may or may not beable to tap in.

You can get LP and use a tank.

Just a thought.

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 03-29-11, 05:10 PM
Mike, I would never recommend an unvented heater for any space. The risk of CO or oxygen depletion is too great and the tremendous amount of moisture released in the exhaust is akin to spraying a garden hose around the room.

Old 03-29-11, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
I guess so. I know they have a low Oxygen cut off, and I figure a garage door is not that air tight. It was just a thought. Hey you wonder why they sell them then...LOL

Mike NJ

Old 03-29-11, 07:31 PM
I know couple spot in Wisconsin is cracking down hard on unvented gaz heaters in garage and some of insurance companine may not want to renew it until that is vented properly or eclosed combustion type furance.

I know one of my customer did have pellet furance and the insurance nixed him on that part { I did expain why and he understood that part }

For Electrique heaters all it depending on the subpanel circuit capaity and you may want to double check everything as well.

Merci.
Marc

Old 03-30-11, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 30kBTU nat gas unvented heater in my garage. It stinks a little bit, but it's not that bad. The oxygen depletion sensor will cut out if O2 drops below a safe limit, but that really isn't a problem in the garage with so much draft around the roll-up door.

Obviously I shut it off before opening any flammable solvents, etc, but for regular old working in the garage it's quite nice.