Testing and disabling old doorbell wiring.

Old 03-29-11, 08:14 PM
Testing and disabling old doorbell wiring.

Hello, hope you can help an absolute beginner. I recently put up drywall in a 1978 mfg home. The doorbell had been removed inside and six wires exposed. I'd like to cap them off, push them into the wall and mud over them. (There's enough room behind the drywall to do so). The wires are red, green, brown, two yellow and a black. I have a digital multimeter, but I'm not very familiar with it's use. I did look for a transformer, but cannot locate it in any of the 'usual' places. I would like to safely retire these wires. Suggestions on the proper steps to do so? I'm in Washington, btw. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 08:49 PM
First step is to find that transformer. You may have to dig in the attic, basement, crawl spaces, etc.

Old 03-29-11, 10:11 PM
This is an older manufactured home, there is no attic, no basement, no crawl spaces. I've already checked in the area of the furnace, at the circuit box, and the main outside and in every room in the home. If I cannot find the transformer, then do I have to leave all these wires hanging out exposed? Is there no other option?

Old 03-29-11, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
The doorbell had been removed inside and six wires exposed. The wires are red, green, brown, two yellow and a black
Almost seems like too many wires. Are you sure this wasn't for a thermostat? Is it high up on a wall or midway up a wall? Do you think it is a doorbell because you removed one from there?

Set your multimeter, AC, lower voltage scale. Wrap one wire around one of the probes and test for voltage to each of the wires. Then Go on to the next wire and wrap it around the probe and test it against the other wires except the one you already tested against the others. Keep going till you have tested all 2 wire combinations.

Old 03-29-11, 10:43 PM
Yes, it's from the doorbell, it was removed by someone who was working on remodeling the room (It is high up on the wall, as well, not at eye level) and the doorbell box was left laying there.

As far as using the multimeter, (which I'm not too familiar with), mine has a V- section and a V~. The V- has 2, 20, 200 and 1000 settings. Is this the one I use, and should I set it at 20?

And finally, what do I do next, if I find there's power, can I just cap them off? And if there isn't any, then what?