Leviton dimmers too big...

Old 04-01-11, 09:34 PM
Leviton dimmers too big...

Am I doing something wrong or is this Leviton dimmer too big?

In the picture below, you can see, if I mount two dimmers side by side in the box, the lower left corner I have a connector, this connector is actually in the way of the dimmer, if I push it in it will NOT fit unless I force it real hard, and it is NOT the cables behind, it is that nipple that is in the way of the dimmer's back.

Aren't they supposed to account for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-11, 09:49 PM
First of all, wow what made you decide to use conduit in a house? You can cut your piece of emt shorter and back the connector out of the box. You will need to put a lock nut on the inside and outside of the box to hold the connector in just the right place. Also you might want to check your wire fill on those boxes. Even if you're. Close to maxing out, sometimes a crowded box leads to a pinched wire and a few months down the road, heat breaks down the insulation at the pinch and boom! A dead short.

Old 04-01-11, 09:57 PM
The one on the right side is actually two deep, the box in the back and an extension ring in the front, most of the wires are in the box in the back. I was just ranting because it would seem Leviton when they designed the dimmers should have accounted for these common interference issues.

Old 04-01-11, 10:25 PM
It looms like you used a standard 1 1/4" deep 1900. If you would have used a deep 1900 I believe the ko's are set further back. I've been doing this for 15 yrs and there are always little hickups that pop up along the way.

Old 04-02-11, 08:55 AM
You might also check on breaking the heat sink tabs off where the two dimmers meet in the middle. This can lead to derating (total wattage each can handle). Don't want them to overheat...

Old 04-02-11, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Wire Jockey View Post
It looms like you used a standard 1 1/4" deep 1900. If you would have used a deep 1900 I believe the ko's are set further back. I've been doing this for 15 yrs and there are always little hickups that pop up along the way.
I think this is the issue. A deep 1900 box is 2 1/8" deep plus the depth of the plaster frame. I think you used the wrong box.

Old 04-02-11, 03:07 PM
On the right is one 1900 box in the back, a 1-1/4" extension ring on top of that, and a 1/2" mud ring, that gives it a total depth of 3". I knew there will be lots of wires on the box to the right, but I also need to align the piece of pipe that connects between the right and left box, so instead of a deep box I opted to use a standard box with a standard extension ring. There is plenty of room depth wise, just that the dimmer hits that pipe connector.

In retrospect, I would have used an extra deep extension ring, and match the left side with an extra deep box.

Old 04-02-11, 05:50 PM
On the right is one 1900 box in the back, a 1-1/4" extension ring on top of that, and a 1/2" mud ring, that gives it a total depth of 3". I knew there will be lots of wires on the box to the right, but I also need to align the piece of pipe that connects between the right and left box, so instead of a deep box I opted to use a standard box with a standard extension ring. There is plenty of room depth wise, just that the dimmer hits that pipe connector
Ok, I gotcha. Then the problem is that you are using the KOs in the extension ring where the device mounts. A deeper extension may have worked, but also, advanced planning on conduit placements would work. One other option could have been to use a 4 11/16" box and extension.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 04-02-11 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-03-11, 08:49 AM
You could also use a piece of flex into the back box.