how many outlets above a 7 foot countertop - 1 or 2

Old 04-02-11, 07:57 AM
how many outlets above a 7 foot countertop - 1 or 2

I am adding on a countertop to a 7' wall. I am confused as to whether I can legally have one outlet only, or if I need two. If I stick the outlet in the dead center of the wall, then that means there is 3.5' to the left and right of it...does that then meet the 4' requirement? I also thought that any appliance on the counter needs to be able to reach an outlet within 2' of its location, so then one outlet would not meet that requirement. Did I misunderstand the NEC code? Any professional advice on whether I need one or two would be appreciated,
thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-11, 08:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a sink on this countertop?

Old 04-02-11, 08:49 AM
No, it is just a straight shot of countertop.

Old 04-02-11, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a receptacle within 24" of both ends and no more than 48" in between each receptacle.

Old 04-02-11, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Code requires counter space along a wall not be further than 24" from a receptacle. (Measured along the wall) You therefore need at least 2.

Old 04-02-11, 03:44 PM
Thanks all, that's what I thought. I found a closed junction box on this wall, but unfortunately when I checked to see what breaker it was on and what else was on the line, I found that it was on the line that controlled lighting above the sink, plus it was only 15a, and I think countertop receptacles need 20a and can't share the line with lighting fixtures. Looks like I am going to need a separate line. (unfortunately I should have asked this question *before* I put up the two 18" x 66" wall cabinets, ugh. Running wire now will be a pain.

Old 04-02-11, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are correct on both counts. The countertop circuit must be 20 amps and connot share lighting loads.

Old 04-04-11, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
More recepacles is almost always better - in this case, code says you need two anyway but I would have said go with two even if code didn't require it, I always over-wire and have never regretted having the extra receptacles