2 Circuit Breakers control same rooms, trip one another

Old 04-03-11, 02:51 PM
Exclamation 2 Circuit Breakers control same rooms, trip one another

Hello, According to what the previous owner of my house has written on the circuit breaker panel, breaker #8 powers the 2 back bedrooms, and breaker #9 powers the utility room and a 3rd bedroom. However, one of the breakers is always tripped. If I reset #8, it trips #9 and vice versa.
Yesterday, I attempted to figure out what breaker powers what/ I had every light in the house on and checked each breaker one by one. I checked outlets by plugging in a small lamp in each while the breaker was off. Lo and behold, I found that not only do #8 & #9 control the exact same stuff, but it's not just 2 bedrooms & the utility room. It's nothing in the utility room, 2 outlets in the Living Room, the bathroom lights (vanity and overhead light/exhaust fan) and outlet, the hall light, EVERYTHING in all 3 bedrooms, and the front porch light. I thought maybe I had some crossed wires somewhere, but so far I've not found anything. I've been in the attic trying to figure it out, but have not checked anything at the box itself, probably because I'm too chicken to take the cover off and look, even with the main breaker shut off!
Any help on how to find the problem and fix it would be appreciated! Even if it's something to big for me to do myself, I'd like to know the why/how part, then I could explain better if I have to call an electrician in.

Right now, I've got just #8 on, #9 is tripped. Everything works fine, and my guess is that it's been like this for quite some time (over a year).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-11, 03:52 PM
You have 2 separate circuits interconnected somewhere, probably at a double switch where one could be a 3-way. It also sounds as if those 2 circuits are fed from opposite legs in the panel. The only thing I can't explain is why only one breaker trips and not both. Yes, you need to call a good electrician.

Old 04-03-11, 04:18 PM
Thank you! Yes, they are fed from opposite legs.
I'm wondering if the interconnected circuits could be in the master bedroom. The ceiling fan was replaced by a friend a while back, and the double light switch in there used to control the light on the fan. Now I have to use the chains to turn the light and fan on/off. The bottom switch controls an outlet in the bedroom, and that still works fine. I'll take a look at the wiring to the fan, see if I can't get it connected the way it was before and see if that solves the problem.

I also should have mentioned that breaker #13 controls nothing at all. Is that normal?

I also have a 'questionable' double switch with a possible 3 way, but it's in the kitchen and only 1 switch works, for an outside light. The other doesn't seem to work anything, altough I think it was meant to be a 3-way for the ceiling fixture. The working switch on the opposite wall is a 3-way. I think should probably post a new thread for that problem!

Old 04-04-11, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Natalie87 View Post
I also should have mentioned that breaker #13 controls nothing at all. Is that normal?
It's not unusual to have an unused breaker in the panel, but there's a better chance that it controls something "hidden" like the sump pump, attic vent fan, furnace, garage door opener, etc.

Old 04-04-11, 07:13 PM
It's not unusual to have an unused breaker in the panel, but there's a better chance that it controls something "hidden" like the sump pump, attic vent fan, furnace, garage door opener, etc.
....or aereator pump, door bell, weatherproof receptacle at a-c unit or a receptacle inside the house.