Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

inline fuse replacement on salton waffle maker. cant read fuse size. any help?

Old 04-03-11, 11:48 PM

i have a salton waffle maker that quit powering up. i went through it with my multimeter and discovered an inline fuse on the plug wire broke continuity. i assume that is the issue but now i am having trouble locating a replacement because i cant make out any lettering or numbers on the fuse. i would appreciate any help to determine what size fuse i would need and also where i could possibly find one? the spec. stickers rates the appliance as 120v, 60hz, 1000w. thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 12:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In a heating appliance, those are thermal fuses. They are designed to break when the temperature gets too high, like if the thermostat is stuck on, so it doesn't melt the unit and cause a fire. For a waffle iron you would need one in the 425-450 degree range (prime deliciousness occurs at about 400 degrees, so that's what most irons heat to). They're a buck and a half plus shipping. But I would check the thermostat first, to make sure it's not welded together. If the thermostat is bad, it'll just keep popping fuses.

Thermodisc Thermal Cutoff Fuse 443f 2 15A 8226 | G4A01229C | Thermodisc

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 04-04-11 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 06:58 PM
i would appreciate any help to determine what size fuse i would need and also where i could possibly find one?
You could probably also order from the factory, but you better line up a Chinese interpreter first!

Old 04-04-11, 07:08 PM
thanks for the information. i guess now i should just go ahead and replace the thermostat as well. the information on the current one shows z42/43 10/250 t250. i cant seem to locate a replacement with that information but did notice various thermostats with a 200 degrees celsius which brings it up to 392f. in your opinion would that work well enough?

Old 04-05-11, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow that would be a 482 degree thermostat. That seems very high to me. The 392 degree one sounds much more reasonable for a waffler. However, it has to be an exact design match to make sure it senses properly. TBTH at this point I would just chuck it and buy a new one. Salton is a cheepy brand, you can get a similar model at Target for $30-40.

Old 04-05-11, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
You can do what you want but from the perspective from someone who works on small devices for a living, any part that you replace that is not exactly like what you removed is asking for trouble.

These appliances are designed to be safe the way they are made and any modifications that are not correct could leave you with a flaming waffle iron should the thermostat stick.
Keep in mind something went wrong to cause the limit to open in the first place.

You would do well to do as suggested and buy a new one.