sump pump in well pit allowed?

Old 04-04-11, 12:41 PM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
sump pump in well pit allowed?

hi folks –

I have a well with an old fashioned well-pit, with the well head in the bottom of the pit. The pit fills with water upon rainstorms and ground water gets into the well. Not very good. I was wondering if there would be any way , that would be code compliant, where I could temporarily put a sump pump in the pit to keep it dry? By temporary I really mean 12-18 months.

(a) The pit is 3 ‘ x 3’ x 4’ deep with masonry block walls and a metal manhole cover.

(b) The pit is 20’ from the basement wall.

(c) There is a buried 1 1/4 pvc pipe, 20 feet long, from the basement to the pit which carries the submersible pump wires. There are 3 #12 wires for the submersible pump running in the pipe.

I know I can easily fish more wires through the 1 1/4 pvc pipe to supply electric to a sump pump and I could put a pvc discharge pipe through the pit wall. But if I understand , you are supposed to plug a sump pump into a dedicated GFCI circuit. So I guess the only way that could work would be to put a receptacle in the well pit? And somehow that seems a little flaky. Anything in the pit would be underwater if the pump failed – including any kind of receptacle. Guess it would be like putting the receptacle in the sump pit in your basement – really nuts!

But back to the point, I guess I really have no idea whether a pump in a well-pit would be allowed under any circumstances. Sound like it would be risky.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-04-11, 12:57 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Yeah I think you could do it. I'd use a GFCI breaker and UF-B cable to a regular receptacle. At least that way if it gets submerged you only need to replace the $1 receptacle instead of a $15 GFCI + $50 in cable.

Old 04-04-11, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Its easy enough to convert to a pitless adapter and be done with it. May be cheaper also. Then you can fill the pit.

Once you get the pitless adpt. in then you extend the casing above grade.

YouTube - How to install a pitless adaptor

What is a pitless adapter?

YouTube - Pitless adapter & Pitless units

Mike NJ

Old 04-04-11, 06:20 PM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Yeah I think you could do it. I'd use a GFCI breaker and UF-B cable to a regular receptacle. At least that way if it gets submerged you only need to replace the $1 receptacle instead of a $15 GFCI + $50 in cable.
Gotcha Ben! Thanks a lot for your time and expertise. I understand exactly what you are saying. Might even have some UF-B around here somewhere. Very helpful information. Think I might just do what you describe above for some months to see if my bugs-in-the-water problem disappears. Then, if so, fix it the modern way with the pitless adapter.

Thanks again for you time and expertise!

Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Its easy enough to convert to a pitless adapter and be done with it. May be cheaper also. Then you can fill the pit.

Once you get the pitless adpt. in then you extend the casing above grade.

YouTube - How to install a pitless adaptor

What is a pitless adapter?

YouTube - Pitless adapter & Pitless units

Mike NJ
Those are really excellent videos Mike. Don’t understand why I never came across them? That’s my goal, to do it the right way with the pitless adapter. Looks like a little bit of work though. I’m sure a lot would have to be dug out, the cinder block walls busted down, the concrete top chopped off, and the hole made much bigger - big enough for a guy to work in- like in the video. But on the other hand, I guess that could be done easily with the right equipment?

Going down in the 3’ x 3’ x 4’ pit via the manhole is a bear. Like working in an underground closet. Drove me nuts when I worked down in it for hours at a time. But the end product with the pitless would be good!

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: