Re-routing conduit

Old 04-04-11, 02:01 PM
Re-routing conduit

Seems like a stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you connect a plastic conduit extentsion to metal conduit?

Edit: Let me be more specific. I currently have metal conduit running out of the ground, and up to a light fixture by my porch. I need to re-position the light fixture, so I obviously need to re-route the conduit (basically shortening the length by about a foot and going to the left about 6 inches).

How do I do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the conduit thinwall (EMT) or thick wall (rigid) threaded? Does the conduit contain wires from other circuits or only for this fixture? Does the conduit contain a green or bare ground wire in addition to the insulated circuit wires?

Old 04-04-11, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the response. Bear with me, because I am a true amateur.

The conduit seems pretty thick to me. I can't bend it at all.

The end going into the light fixture is threaded, but to shorten it (cut it) I will have to remove the threading.

The conduit contains wires for this light fixture only.

Old 04-04-11, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Old 04-04-11, 04:53 PM

I'm trying to re-position this light fixture. How do I re-route the metal conduit, without making it look "trashy"?

Old 04-04-11, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Boy what an ugly job. I'd say removing the conduit all together would be best. You said the conduit comes out of the ground? Where does it come out of the ground?

Is there a crawl space directly below the porch or an unfinished attic above the porch?

Old 04-04-11, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Socnorb11 View Post
Seems like a stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you connect a plastic conduit extentsion to metal conduit?

Edit: Let me be more specific. I currently have metal conduit running out of the ground, and up to a light fixture by my porch. I need to re-position the light fixture, so I obviously need to re-route the conduit (basically shortening the length by about a foot and going to the left about 6 inches).

How do I do that?
My assumption is this is rigid threaded conduit. If you can take the conduit apart at a threaded joint you can join it to PVC conduit by using a female threaded adapter and then continuing with PVC conduit that can be glued together.
Amazon.com: Carlon E942D 1/2" Female Adapter Pvc Conduit Fitting: Industrial & Scientific

If you must cut the conduit leaving no threads, you can use a rigid threadless compression connector and then use the PVC female threaded adapter to adapt to PVC conduit for the new run. The threadless connectors come in setscrew type and compression type, use compression type.
Frost - Threadless Rigid Conduit Connectors & Couplings

Old 04-04-11, 06:44 PM
It comes out of the ground right by the house. I don't know how deep it goes.

The porch is solid cement. No crawl space. There is unfinished space in the attic, but that sounds like a lot of work. Since it's a brick home, it's going to be difficult to run a new line from the inside to the outside, so I'd prefer to use the line that is already there.

Old 04-04-11, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
If you must cut the conduit leaving no threads, you can use a rigid threadless compression connector and then use the PVC female threaded adapter to adapt to PVC conduit for the new run. The threadless connectors come in setscrew type and compression type, use compression type.
Frost - Threadless Rigid Conduit Connectors & Couplings
I think this may be the type of answer I was seeking.

How does the "compression type" of connector work? How does it connect to the metal conduit?

Old 04-04-11, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
How does the "compression type" of connector work? How does it connect to the metal conduit?
You slip it over and tighten the compression nut.

Old 04-04-11, 07:11 PM
I think this may be the type of answer I was seeking.

It works exactly like a compression thinwall connector, but has a larger throat, compression ring and nut for the larger OD of the rigid heavywall conduit. Not sure that answered your question though. Let me try again, the ring and nut slide over the rigid conduit and the conduit bottoms out in the connector. The nut is then tightened and the comprssion ring is clamped down tightly (or compressed down tightly) on the outside of the rigid conduit. The key is getting the rigid conduit cut off cleanly without damaging the wiring in the conduit. Once you get the connector on the conduit you will have male threads that the PVC female threaded adapter will easily screw on to.

Old 04-04-11, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You slip it over and tighten the compression nui.
Sounds too easy.

Is this something that I can get at Lowe's?

Old 04-04-11, 07:14 PM
Sounds too easy.

Is this something that I can get at Lowe's?
I seriously doubt a big box store would have these. Try a supply house or order online from the link I posted.

Old 04-04-11, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I seriously doubt a big box store would have these. Try a supply house or order online from the link I posted.
Will do.

Tremendous help, guys. Hope I didn't waste your time......... this seems simpler than I expected.

Old 04-05-11, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something else that's important: you need to pull the conductors out from the previous box in the conduit before working on it. Also, don't use a plumbing style wheel cutter on the iron pipe as that leaves a very sharp edge inside which will cut the wires when you repull them. Use a bimetal or carbide blade to cut the pipe flush and ream the inside and outside to clean off any burrs.

If your pipe does not include a green or bare ground wire, you must pull a new one through the conduit. Metal conduits can be used as ground, but if you replace a section with PVC it will break the ground path. A ground wire must be installed to preserve the ground path through the plastic section.