Need help identifying adapter for this plug

Old 04-05-11, 11:16 AM
Need help identifying adapter for this plug

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to find the correct piece I would need to be able to plug this into a regular house electrical outlet. It is rather small and looks like it needs an adapter so I can plug it into the wall but I'm unable to find any markings on the device itself to be able to ask a manufacturer, nor do I have the box for the large lamp anymore.

Thanks a ton in advance for helping me figure this out!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 11:29 AM
None of your pictures load but the reason the plug is differant I'd guess is that its a low voltage lamp, not 110 volts or it's an over seas lamp that would be for 220 50 cycles witch both will not work in a reguler outlet.

Old 04-05-11, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your images don't work because they link to your private gmail account. The images will need to be on public storage to be viewable by others.

Old 04-05-11, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Old 04-05-11, 09:07 PM

The problem is there is only one rectangular prong and the other is a small circle, both of which are entirely too small to fit in a regular socket to begin with. But they aren't even the right plug to go in the outlet. =/

Old 04-05-11, 10:08 PM
I look at it and look like not a European item but what country where you got this unit from and what kind of equiment it have ?

And please resize the photo if you can.

Merci,
Marc

Old 04-06-11, 08:48 AM
Just a shot in the dark but if this is a foreign design plug you might check out a company called Franzus, who specializes in adaters and adapter kits for travel abroad etc. I am enclosing a link for a seller of it, but you can research the name for more details. Otherwise, I have no clue what that is..

Franzus Foreign Travel Adapters

Old 04-06-11, 10:42 AM
It looks somewhat similar, but not quite identical, to the Lutron dimmable plug.

Old 04-06-11, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
It is usually best not to use an adapter. The plug is made the way it is so it can't be used on an incorrect supply circuit. Tell us the device, its voltage, and frequency if AC.

Old 04-06-11, 05:44 PM
Similar to those lights in the refridgerated section of the grocery store. By the dairy.

Old 04-07-11, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm suffering from a bad case of CRS right now but I know I've seen that plug somewhere before. But it was years ago and I can't remember which catalog I saw it in. I'm positive it is designed as a low voltage DC connector.

What kind of bulb is in it? Does it have a regular Edison base or is it a specialty bulb? Does the bulb in it have any voltage rating on it?

Old 04-07-11, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
I'm suffering from a bad case of CRS right now but I know I've seen that plug somewhere before. But it was years ago and I can't remember which catalog I saw it in. I'm positive it is designed as a low voltage DC connector.
I had a (Magnavox?) boom box in the early 1980s that used this connector for remote speakers or for plugging into a 12-volt source, I don't recall which.

What's funny about this is that in 1984, using the regular AC cord, I had plugged the boom box into a standard 120-volt receptacle that a maintenance worker had miswired so it was putting out 208 volts. Poof! You've been warned.

**Edit** I just googled DIN connector and sure enough wikipedia has it as a loudspeaker connector. There's a photo part way down the page. DIN connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-11, 09:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
YES! That's it! I didn't think DIN because those are primarily round pins. Good catch man!

The same connector is used on some halogen lamps to connect the bulb to the power supply.
So yeah that would be a connection to a 12v power supply for the lamp. Plugging it right into 120 would blow the bulb instantly.

Old 04-07-11, 01:50 PM
What's funny about this is that in 1984, using the regular AC cord, I had plugged the boom box into a standard 120-volt receptacle that a maintenance worker had miswired so it was putting out 208 volts.
I hate when that happens. In a commercial building, I carry a dmm with me before plugging anything in that is mine.