4 GFI Outlets, 1 works, 3 will not reset

Old 04-05-11, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 GFI Outlets, 1 works, 3 will not reset

I've got four GFI Outlets in the kitchen, all but one is working. when i hit the reset button on any of the 3 that do not work, they will not reset. I tried flipping the breaker for the kitchen and still nothing. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any responses are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Kracker

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 01:17 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
#1 why in the world do you have 4 GFI's in one kitchen? Unless this is a very old house that was wired with no ground then there should only be one for the outlets over the counters. You find where the power comes in and install one GFI and any down stream will be protected if the line is connected at the bottom of the GFI to supply any outlets after that one.
Micro wave, and refrigator should not be pluged into GFI prtected outlets, should be on there own circuts with 12-2 wire and 20 amp breakers.
Are you sure there's power going to that GFI? GFI's will not reset without power getting to them.

Old 04-05-11, 02:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As stated there would normally only be one GFCI. If there is no ground then only the first receptacle should be a GFCI if the others are fed from the load side of the first GFCI.

Sometimes multiple GFCIs can cause a problem. It's best to determine which receptacle is first in the daisy chain and use regular receptacles for the others fed from the load side of the first.

If you can't figure out which is first in line you could also use all GFCI receptacles but you need to feed all the GFCIs only from the line side. In that case it is important to use only the line side for power in and power out to the next receptacle.

Old 04-05-11, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From the box of the GFCI I just bought:
>IMPROVED SAFETY WITH SAFELOCKTM PROTECTION. IF CR.ITICAL COMPONENTS ARE DAMAGED & GROUND FAULT PROTECTION IS LOST, POWER TO RECEPTACLE IS DISCONNECTED.
That pretty much could sum it up.