Battery Charger with no "T" Terminal

Old 04-06-11, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery Charger with no "T" Terminal

I bought an after-market Li-Ion battery charger for my new camcorder, which plugs directly to the wall and also has a car-charge plug.

While the original charger (that came with the camera) has 3 terminals: +, T and - (plus, T, and minus), the after-market charger has only + and -, no T terminal in between...

I read somewhere that the T terminal is monitoring the charging process, getting some feedback from the battery being charged...

...Is there anything I should worry about using this charger that has no T terminal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-11, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes there is plenty to worry about. If it doesn't have a T (temperature monitor) terminal, there is a very high likelihood that it will cook the battery. Worst case scenario the battery can explode. Aftermarket no-name chargers are total garbage. They usually do a time-based charge. Even if it is a 'smart' charger, it has no way of monitoring the temperature of the battery. I would return it and get the proper brand for your camcorder.

Old 04-07-11, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries are great improvements over some of the older types, but they have an annoying habit of catching fire or exploding when not charged correctly. There should always be charged with a charger that monitors either voltage or temperature (or both). I'd be very wary of the charger you have.

Old 04-07-11, 06:56 PM
Who knows what chinese sweatshop counterfeit that.

Old 04-07-11, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info.... Interesting how nobody knows that... The product is sold by Amazon, and the reviews there are very positive.... I suspect it does have some kind of a timer, as JerseyMatt suggested... If it indeed does, than there's less chance of overheating and exploding... The thing is, I bought this product 'cause:

A. It plugs directly to the wall, w/o that long cord that the original charger has...

B. It's sold with 2 replacement batteries...

C. It also has a car charger...

...And it cost $20.-

We're taking the camcorder for a trip in Europe, so the versatility of this product and the extra batteries (the original holds no more than an hour) is important...

I didn't find any similar product online.

The fact it's made in China? I'm utterly frustrated too, but can you guys find ANYTHING that's NOT made in China, these days?.....

Old 04-07-11, 09:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We're taking the camcorder for a trip in Europe,
You do know you will need a voltage adapter to use it in Europe?

Old 04-07-11, 09:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mamamia617 View Post
I suspect it does have some kind of a timer, as JerseyMatt suggested... If it indeed does, than there's less chance of overheating and exploding...
Actually timer based chargers are MORE likely to overheat and explode the battery. They're called 'dumb' chargers because all they do is dump a set amount of power into the battery for a set amount of time. They do not adjust for the amount of charge already in the battery, and they do not vary the charge rate as the battery heats up (why the T terminal is so important).

If you got the charger and two extra battery packs for $20, it makes me even more suspicious of its quality. Camcorder batteries normally go for $20-70 each for aftermarket, $50-100 or more for original equipment. I'm not trying to scare you into buying X brand because I own stock or anything, I'm just going on my own experience that what you paid is way too low to be of any decent quality.

What is the brand/model of the camcorder? And if you wouldn't mind, post a link to what you bought.

Old 04-07-11, 09:50 PM
What part of Europe you are going ? due many place have diffrent power points { receptales } style so give me a quick guess where you are going then I can able post the correct listing of what the power points we do use them in European area.

I will give you a quick run down what we use them in France.

That one of few common one we use there may have other but not very many other items beside couple motels may use the North Americian power point style.

Merci,
Marc

Old 04-08-11, 12:07 AM
The charger is 110-220v so it will work in Europe. It also came with an adapter, the 2 round prongs that, I guess, is common anywhere in mainland Europe. We're going to Germany, Prague, and France. Having a car charger is also very convenient......

If I let the battery deplete totally, then use this charger, there's less chance of over-heating, I guess... It would be dangerous if I put a half-charged, or almost fully charged battery back in this charger, than it might over-charge and get over-heated, I guess....

The camcorder is a Sanyo VPC-GH4. Great little camera for a real great price (and NOT made in China...)

The charger kit is a Wasabi -- and got very good reviews, as you can see......
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Sanyo DB-L80, DB-L80AU, VPC-CA102, VPC-CG10, VPC-CG102, VPC-CG20, VPC-CS1, VPC-GH2, VPC-GH4, VPC-PD2: Electronics