120V AC to 12V DC adaptor

Old 04-09-11, 12:04 PM
120V AC to 12V DC adaptor

I have a Horizon LS635E Elliptical with no adapter. Horizon charges $50 for an adapter but have none in stock. (I wonder how much they are when they have them in stock?)

The Manufacturer shows it to be a 12V adapter but shows no amp rating. I have some 12V adapters but am afraid to try them for fear of damaging the electronics.

Would it be ok to experiment with some of my 12V DC adapters?? Is there a way to determine the amps that the machine needs??

Am I asking this question in the right forum?
JIm 0311

Am I asking this question in the right forum??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-11, 02:05 PM
As long as the voltage is correct, you won' t damage the electronics in the elliptical. I notice on the horizon website that the power supply pictured below the one you want is rated at 1A. That at least puts us in the ballpark. If the PS isn't rated for the current requirement, you can burn it up, but it's the only piece that will be damaged. Check my favorite parts store http://www.bgmicro.com .In the past, I've purchased 12VDC/3A supplies from them for about $10.00 which should be way more than you need.

Old 04-09-11, 03:47 PM
Doesn't the elliptical power itself when you use it? The ones at my school do.

Old 04-10-11, 09:10 AM
Thanks TK, After letting the smoke out of the box a few times I get a little leery when dealing with electronics. Good catch on checking the others, went right over my head. I was at the flea market this AM and bought 2 12V supplies a 800ma and a 3 amp, the 800 seems to work fine. Total investment $3. Of course as soon as they have the $50 ones in stock I will order one

I'm on your side Justin, I do not understand powered exercise equipment. Of course as soon as they come out with Wii barbells I may start pumping iron again
JIm 0311